Brakes always on

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Mr lahey
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Brakes always on

Post by Mr lahey »

So I just changed my front pads and rotors on my 96 gs and took it for a ride and the brakes are on a little bit all the time, i took it for a quick ride around the block and saw smoke coming from my front tires, anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: I also accidentally hit the brake pedal after getting both calipers on before starting up the car, maybe thats what did it?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Brakes always on

Post by umcamara »

Why would it matter if you hit the brake pedal before starting the car??

And how do you know the brakes are being applied? Because of the smoke? Maybe you bent your dust shields and they're rubbing against the rotors?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Mr lahey

Post by Mr lahey »

umcamara wrote:Why would it matter if you hit the brake pedal before starting the car??

And how do you know the brakes are being applied? Because of the smoke? Maybe you bent your dust shields and they're rubbing against the rotors?
I dont know I didnt think it would but its the only thing I can think of.

I know the brakes are being applied because when I put the clutch in the car brakes and I can feel the drag and it holds me in place when im stopped. There is no irregular noise and its grabbing pretty good so im quite sure the brakes are being applied
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Next thing I'd look at is your calipers being seized on the sliders. They should be able to float freely.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Tollis

Post by Tollis »

Take the calipers and pads off. Take some fine sandpaper to the sliders then coat them in some good brake lube. Then coat the pins with lube and put em back together sounds like the pads are just seized on the sliders.
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

It could be a few things..

The main piston is seized
The A frame is seized (two sliders)
The pads are sticking in their little sliders
You forgot the metal clips that help push the pads away from the disc

As suggested, take some fine sandpaper and have a go at the A frame. If you have a round file, you can work on the inside of those sliders too. Use some SILICONE BASED lubricant on reassembly. Anything else will kill the rubbers and then you'll have a dry and dead caliper real soon.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mr lahey

Post by Mr lahey »

Ryan wrote:It could be a few things..

The main piston is seized
The A frame is seized (two sliders)
The pads are sticking in their little sliders
You forgot the metal clips that help push the pads away from the disc

As suggested, take some fine sandpaper and have a go at the A frame. If you have a round file, you can work on the inside of those sliders too. Use some SILICONE BASED lubricant on reassembly. Anything else will kill the rubbers and then you'll have a dry and dead caliper real soon.
You're the one who helped me get the calipers back on, thanks for that :D Not sure if you remember but you told me I had to take half the caliper off to put it back on is that the A frame you are talking about. Sorry for the noob questions im just a tad confused and like to be sure of myself :p
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You can try using a C clamp to push the pistons back in then reinstall the caliper and apply the brakes and see if they're still binding. My experience on our cars is you'll have to either rebuild the caliper, get ones from the wreckers and hope they're good or buy new ones. Removing the piston and cleaning the cylinder may work as well. If your tires were smoking Holy Mackeral. Those were really hot brakes, not good.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”