MZR engine swap?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MZR engine swap?

Post by Custommx3 »

This motor is alot bigger than you think...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

projectmx wrote:i just searched on car-part.com and found several engines under 4 grand you can probably get everything with it for not much more
hmm, i'm susprised you can get them that cheap. It cost my friend just over $3g to replace the motor is his regular Mazda3 after blowing it up with a turbo (boost controller connected backwards, long story, we had it right). I'm surprised with the less availability they're not much more expensive.

But in total, I'd still believe it cost close if not more than $10k to get it done. Actually here...

At most expensive, the tranny is $2238.5, the motor is $3850, ECU is $350, wiring harness is $450. That's already $6888.50 at it's most expensive, and you never underestimate the cost on automotive projects. You still have to include taxes, shipping, if you don't do your own work; labor and you haven't even started the custom mounts and axles and even tried to get it into the car. While the motor is out, you'd probably want to do some preventative maintenance stuff. Probably get a new clutch while you at it, timing belt...oh i could do on and on, but to say $10k, i'd put money on it that I wouldn't be far off
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
bfamiluyi

Post by bfamiluyi »

if it will cost you more than 5grand to do the swap, you may as well just buy the mazda speed itself. less headache
FASTLANE ONLY
1993 mazda mx3 1.6 sohc K&N INTAKE R1 MUFFLER SOON TO BOOST (SOHC TURBO)
1989 nissan 240sx sr20 wreck RIP
2002 saturn Ls2 RIP
Savin

Post by Savin »

bfamiluyi wrote:if it will cost you more than 5grand to do the swap, you may as well just buy the mazda speed itself. less headache
Less headache, yes, but all the more fun and rewarding! :)
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

yeah i thought it'd be more rewarding as well. plus i like my mx-3. i've put a lot into the body (still looks cruddy tho hahaha...but i'm learnin from my mistakes). and i just like the overall look of the mx3 and everything.
i still haven't found anything here in wichita. why does every junk/salvage yard have to be clueless as to what a mazdaspeed is? has anyone else tried finding one?
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
xboxlivemonkey

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

i would love to help!!! anyone in miami wanna do it ???
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege :)
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I've got a Mazdaspeed6 and the ol' MX-3 with the BPT still. This swap idea is a lost cause and I will say with confidence that it will never be done. The engine is all computers & electronics and I don't see it fitting in the MX-3 engine bay. If you really don't want the BP(T) or KLZE, there's that guy in Puerto Rico who did the 2.0 FS protege engine swap (I think that's what it was) with some serious custom work. There have to be better ways to spend that much money. Just my two cents I guess. Sorry if I burst your bubble(s).
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ice Racing

Post by Ice Racing »

Post re-birth :D

I am seriously looking into this option as an upgrade to our ice racing car, those anybody have new or more info about a DISI swap into our car or similar?

And, yes I know, it is going to be expensive and almost everything will have to be custom made and ... :freak: :welder: :freak:

Looking for info like transmission bolt pattern, wheelbase,...
GS KLZE FOR ICE RACING
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Never been done.

You want MZR info, you'll need to talk on the forums for the MZR-powered cars....
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

for the time and money needed to get the mzr running... you can build one hell of ze/de or even 4 banger with similar power. Then you don't need to worry about the ECU or a custom dash. Let alone the tranny and driveline.

I can easily see why anyone would want one, but you'd have better luck with a 350.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

He's running a 175whp ZE, not the most powerful ZE out there.

I'd understand if you want more power coming from a KL-T or BP-T, but I don't see it worthwhile jumping to such a complex and expensive swap when you still can get much more power from a bolt-in OEM drivetrain.

Remember that the Mazda BPT has rally racing roots, probably the worthwhile way to go, and if you want to spend the money, you can do an AWD conversion from there.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”