unsafe jerking of the wheels...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MapaX5
antispam: No

unsafe jerking of the wheels...

Post by MapaX5 »

ok, so i replace the axles and the tie-rod ends are good, replaced the LCA bushings...
but everytime i am driving, the car just...jerks to one side or the other.
i did an alignment (as posted on another thread) and the only thing that was off was my camber...
anyone could help me with this?
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
KL01 FrEaK

Re: unsafe jerking of the wheels...

Post by KL01 FrEaK »

hmmmm...(thinkin)... is it lowered? my roommates eclipse has that problem, any little crack or the smallest pothole you hit, the thing wants to change lanes on ya, sooooo, another thing could be torque steer, bad, did you buy a decent brand of axles? axles are specifically weighted to greatly reduce torque steer, a friend of mine removed the rubber/steel weight on his passenger side axle and it always wanted to turn right due to less weight and less resistance on that output side of the trans, put the weight back on, and it was fine
>> 93' GS -/- DE swap(boosted ZE comin soon)
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

how wide are your tires?
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

When were the tires last balanced?
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

check the ball joints, as well a worn strut will cause this as well if the top gets oblonged.
1993 White gs klze.
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

Struts are brand new KYB GR-2 all around, the tires were just put on the car (i just got a set of Rota Attack wheels 15x6.5x42@12lbs) and we tested the ball joints and they seem fine. the only thing started when we did an alignment, which is weird. my toe was off by 12*! so we corrected it, went for a drive, and boom.
well, not boom, per se, but i did almost hit a car when she decided to just...swerve.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

your tire width.. not rim. 185-215. The wider the tires, the more it will pull over bumps and what not.
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

i'm running Potenza RE2 at 195-60-15
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

so...i went to "re-check" everything today to get an idea as to what was causing this.
and we discovered that whomever did the pass side last time (p.o had receipts from the shop that did them about a month before i got the car) used the wrong bolt joint and didn't even put it in right.
they did NOT align the groove on the joint with the bolt, and just tightened it up. when i started driving it, it had apparently came lose and was just wabling around in the spindle.
Lucky me it didn't fall off. i had about 1/8" play in the thing!
It's all fixed out and tight now....
Thanks for all your ideas and help.
Last edited by MapaX5 on March 1st, 2010, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Are you talking about the LBJ? Sheeet, you're lucky it didn't come off.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Are you talking about the LBJ? Sheeet, you're lucky it didn't come off.
yep. pass side.
it fell IN THE GROVE when it slid off, so that's what kept it in place, but it was still lose enough for me to move it. i literally grabbed a wrench and tightened the bolt. unfortunatelly, it had to be replaced as the play messed up the metal on it.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”