Somewhat high rpm at idle?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
grimsby3
antispam: No

Somewhat high rpm at idle?

Post by grimsby3 »

So I recently had my exhaust pipe patched up (completely rusted out, came right off around the rear pass. side tire) and ever since I did, my revs at idle seem to be a little high, (around 1200-1300) this includes hot-starts, coming to a stop at a red light (its a standard so it's in neutral, w/ or w/o clutch in makes no difference to rev) so I'm just wondering if its because of backpressure that it didn't have before? Just every other car I've driven seems to idle around 500-600 rpm so I'm a little curious as to whats going on. Any ideas?
'95 MX-3 Precidia V6 1.8L, Sony Stereo Deck, 12" MTX Sub w/500 Watt Amp KLZE Swap In the Future!!
BlackMazdaMx-3

Re: Somewhat high rpm at idle?

Post by BlackMazdaMx-3 »

Have the same problem with my brothers car randomly. It does not make sence why it happend after you patched up the exhaust. Have not been able to figure it out.
93 Mazda Mx-3 rs,BP-T swap,22psi,custom fmic,Custom 2-1/2 downpipe with external dump,2-1/2in downpipe back exhaust,Tuned with Megasquirt on E85,Mazda protege G-series transmission,GS rear disk brake swap,H&R lowering springs,corksport front/rear strut tower brace. Dynoed at 300hp and 330tq Mustang dyno, 8.5@87mph 1/8mile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3139490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

93 Mazda Mx-3 GS,BP swap. Daily driver
grimsby3
antispam: No

Post by grimsby3 »

Yah, it beats me. Although go figure I noticed its idling at around 600 today... weird, I'll see if it does it again later
'95 MX-3 Precidia V6 1.8L, Sony Stereo Deck, 12" MTX Sub w/500 Watt Amp KLZE Swap In the Future!!
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

may be totally unrelated to the exhaust backpressure never heard of that affecting idle unless there is a plugged up cat, check the coolant level and the wiring for the 2 wire coolant temp sensor, these cars are stupid sensitive to coolant level for that sensor and it has a big impact on idle, acts like a vaccum leak if the sensor is not immersed totally in coolant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”