Miata internals/ MX-3 internals

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Blue Demon

Miata internals/ MX-3 internals

Post by Blue Demon »

The internals except for the camshafts can be used with no modifications. The camshafts in the miata have the distributor/crank angle sensor drive on the intake cam. On the Mx3 is it on the exhaust cam. You can however use the camshaft 180 degrees out and use cam gears to setup them up.

Thanks

Derrick from Corksport

Thought this might be some good info
projectzemx3

Re: Miata internals/ MX-3 internals

Post by projectzemx3 »

cool. what sort of benefits would someone see with doing this? are the pistons higher compression?
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

i did my own homework:

qoute: mike.

The
main benefit is the pistons have the oil squirter clearance pre cut into them
so there is no need to modify anything / remove the squirters. It came with
pretty much everything you need to rebuild including gaskets. There is a
minor difference with the head gasket as the full kit is designed for a miata
and you will have some extras that dont go anywhere. Oh you will have to
get some valve keepers if you go this route - the B6 and BP ones do not
fit the stiffer miata setup. Miata is a difference of about 2 degrees on the
keepers.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

sorry for the n00b question:
does this mean that I can use a felpro/hks/cometic B6 miata Head Gasket w/o mods?
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

They look to be identical for the B6. Im using a Miata BP head gasket on my
BP with no issues.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

thanx Mike!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:sorry for the n00b question:
does this mean that I can use a felpro/hks/cometic B6 miata Head Gasket w/o mods?

NO! you cannot use a Miata B6 head gasket on a mx3 B6. the FWD motor has two extra oil passages on the exhaust side of the block, and the miata gasket only covers half of the holes, I think an older B6 out of a 323 might work though. I was the first know person to do the miata cam swap years ago in the MX. worked out great, but you really need adjustable gears to get it perfect. Huge advantage over all other B6's. I was putting down close to 230 in my B6DE with miata cams vj14 hybrid at 12psi. However the Miata BP and the Pro BP head gaskets are interchangable. all other inturnals are compatable
Blue Demon

Post by Blue Demon »

The camshafts in the miata have the distributor/crank angle sensor drive on the intake cam. On the Mx3 is it on the exhaust cam. You can however use the camshaft 180 degrees out and use cam gears to setup them up.
^
So what is that suppose to mean? So you can use the Miata camshafts onto the MX3 as long as you use the camshaft 180 degrees out and then use cam gears to setup or adjust them? :?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

yup, looks like.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well you have to swap them. So the Miata exhaust cam goes on the Mx3 intake cam side and vic versa. so when you time them they would be 180deg out from where they would normally be timmed. You can do it with the stock gears but its a pain in the butt. you have to measure the hight of the lobes and it takes a while to get it rite and its never perfect. so adjustable gears is the way to go.
Blue Demon

Post by Blue Demon »

^
Ok I see what you're saying. Think it might be worth doing?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Blue Demon wrote:^
Ok I see what you're saying. Think it might be worth doing?
If your N/A looking for that extra kick, sure. If your boosted and want to maxamize your turbo's potential I say definatly. depending on the lift and duration you go with you can change your power band, torque. it opens a whole new window. Just make sure if you do it, when you buy your cams make sure they are both matching lift and duration. otherwise you can have some issues, because you have to swap the cams from intake to exhaust and such. I would say on my 1.6L is was the best 500 bucks i threw down. you can find them cheeper
Blue Demon

Post by Blue Demon »

If your N/A looking for that extra kick, sure. If your boosted and want to maxamize your turbo's potential I say definatly. depending on the lift and duration you go with you can change your power band, torque. it opens a whole new window. Just make sure if you do it, when you buy your cams make sure they are both matching lift and duration. otherwise you can have some issues, because you have to swap the cams from intake to exhaust and such. I would say on my 1.6L is was the best 500 bucks i threw down. you can find them cheeper
Yeah boosting it is what I am aiming for. Going to use some performance miata internals with rebuilt port and polish engine; as well as matched head and intake manifold. Sure I could just swap the motor but I have my reasons why I want to stick to the B6DE.

Question about the camshafts: lift and duration. Can you explain that to me. Many thanks my friend.
Jwk77
antispam: No

Post by Jwk77 »

ok i have the cams getting ready to put them in quick question is there going to be any problems using the b6 distributor or any other problems i might run into
MapaX5
antispam: No

Post by MapaX5 »

To blue demon:
Lift: how "high" the cams push the valves open. or in lames termes, how "much they open the valve"
Duration: the ammount of time the valves are open, based on .000 of seconds.
For example, a 230@.50 will open the valves .230th of an inch for .50 seconds, a 250@55 will open the valves 250th of an inch for .55 secs.
this translates into more air going in and out of the cyl. head.
you have to be careful with aftermarket cams. some of them might cause "valve float" which is when the spring can't close the valve quick enough before the next cycle of opening the valve happens, and thus you never get your full compression, if any at all.
depending on how "aggressive" your cam profile is, you need to get stiffer springs to have the valves close quicker.
Also, before you spend all that $$$ on cams, i would suggest adjustable cam gears (corksport sells them for like $180 a set) which will allow you to adjust the cams independently, and you can get some overlap in there, which is leaving some exhaust fumes in the cyl head to create more compression and thus more power (this, ofcourse is much better for NA than turbo, but YMMV).
i have a set of corksport webcams on my miata and felt a noticeable difference.
will do the adj cam gears for the mx3 before i get cams.
You need to learn your engine before you try and improve it.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”