Post by ninja_man »

are the knock sensors the same on the k8 and the klde and how do you test them
93 mx-3 with a klde swap. still working on
94 cobra svt. mostly stock.
08 ninja. 1 wheel fun. lol
hgallegos915

Re: knock sensor

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got a klde one and works fine. it was cheaper too. I heard someone here say it was different voltage but hey.. it got rid of my knock sensor code...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

DE and K8 ones are the same, its just another hall effect sensor. You test them by installing them and seeing if the code goes away.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
ninja_man
antispam: No

Post by ninja_man »

there seems like there has to be an easyer way of testing it. i mean alll that work putting it in and it not work
davmac

Post by davmac »

Knock sensor is not a hall effect sensor - though before I start an argument it doesn't really matter because there is no good way to test it. As often as it is a bad sensor it can be a bad wire because it gets pretty hot in the valley between the cylinder heads. Trouble is bad wire or bad sensor both require you remove the intake and at least the larger of 2 coolant bypass pipes. Also the wire / connector is integrated with the sensor. These sensors rarely need to be replaced so you could roll the dice and install a salvage yard part (though treat it gently because you can ruin them easily). About the best price around at mazda-parts dot com for $125 plus shipping.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You can also get a stand-alone knock detector for $65, but you'd still have the CEL.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
ninja_man

Post by ninja_man »

ok. well dosnt that knocksensor code make the car run in loop mode so it runs ritch
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Wow, whoops. I was totally thinking crank position sensor. Go ahead and pick a fight on the hall effect thing, I'm a moron.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

First off I totally agree with you Ryan. :) Nija dude I think you meant to say limp mode as in open loop. Closed loop is when your ECU is able to use all the sensors to determine fuel and timing correction.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah. I forgot about that.
Aftermarket knock sensor = fail without engine management system.
I was just excited because I'm getting one soon.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
ninja_man

Post by ninja_man »

ya. in limp mode. wont a knock sensor put it in limp mode
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Umm this is only a guess and my guess is no. Closed loop uses the O2 sensors and I'm not sure on our cars if the coolant temp sensor is used as well. Never heard of a knock sensor being involved
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ninja_man

Post by ninja_man »

so could it be running rich becuz i am only using one temp sensor. i have a klde in it and didnt feel like changing the neck for both sensors
davmac

Post by davmac »

Are you lacking a temp sensor signal to the ECU? That could be a problem that could cause the engine to run rich. IIRC one sensor is to the dash temp indicator and the other to the ECU. Not sure if you can go without dash temp indicator in favor of a good signal to the ECU. Or you might be able to fool the ECU with a resistor that has a value to indicate the car is at operating temp.

Knock sensor trouble code just means the knock sensor is sending no signal. Kinda like abs or air bag light it is only warning about something that will not happen. Engine performance should not be effected - but if preignition (engine knock) occurs there will be no timing adjustments made. And while the check engine light is on for the knock sensor you will not know if you are having other sensor issues - unless you check.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
ninja_man

Post by ninja_man »

so how can i get that other water temp sensor to work or fake it cuz i dont want to tear the motor apart to put the other neck on

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”