Faulty Waterpump

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Viper_05
antispam: No

Faulty Waterpump

Post by Viper_05 »

Ok i have another Mx3 problem, its a 93 also the 4CLY 5 spd, Well my coolant slowly leaked out and i drove it unknowingly untill i was going and the CHARGE red light came on, on the dash and there was a whining sound comming from the engine, my 1st assumption was that it was the alternator, maybe it still is, but then i came home and checked there was no coolant anywhere so now im leaning towards the water pump is now screwed and needs to be changed, also when i was driving back home and this happend my rpm's wouldnt drop below 2k rpm with the clutch pulled in stopped at a red light, once i rev past 3-4k rpm the charge light would fade out and go away, once i slow down the light comes back on, what could be the problem and how much am i looking at getting this fixed?

thank you all!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Faulty Waterpump

Post by Ryan »

Do you realize that coolant is NOT optional? If motor isn't FUBAR... then its not such a big deal.

Check the tension in your alternator belt. It deflect something like 1/2" inch under moderate pressure, like one or two fingers pressure.

Start there.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Viper_05

Post by Viper_05 »

Ryan wrote:Do you realize that coolant is NOT optional? If motor isn't FUBAR... then its not such a big deal.

Check the tension in your alternator belt. It deflect something like 1/2" inch under moderate pressure, like one or two fingers pressure.

Start there.
yes im aware of that but why would the alternator belt tighten its self up or loosen itsself up and leak all the coolant out? it cant be the alternator im pretty sure its the water pump, except im not sure why the rpm's are choosing to stay at 2k and not drop while it makes a whine sound
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Well if you've baked your motor it can do a bunch of weird things.

You should add some more coolant or just water, let it run, and see where it leaks from. If its the waterpump, it will pour from the belt side of the motor. The seal around the shaft is the only place the pump will leak, and you will need to replace it.

the alternator belt is a common simple problem for these cars, especially the SOHC's. The belt gets a little loose, and sometimes squeals, sometimes is quiet, but the charge light comes on at low RPM's. Try at first tightening the belt, and if that doesn't work, take out your alternator and have it checked by some of the autoparts stores that test them. Maybe just go get a $20 junk yard unit. If you have a multimeter, try checking the battery voltage while running, too. It should be between 12 and 14
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Viper_05

Post by Viper_05 »

i havnt baked the motor, i was getting heat throughout the drive, so there must have been coolant running threw the engine the entire time and it still starts thats not an issue, the loss of coolant/whine sound comming from that area and now lack of coolant in the whole system is the problem, so why would it just be the alternator?
Viper_05

Post by Viper_05 »

nvm my last post i didnt read your whole thing lol my bad thanks for the help!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”