Failed nevada smog help!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Posey24
antispam: No

Failed nevada smog help!!

Post by Posey24 »

Hola. Gots 1.8L v6 92 mx 3 with 201551 miles on it im in vegas so if any mx3 ppls in area wanna rock the airport tunnel let me know. But back to my question. Smogged my car here in nevada yesterday and it failed. 220 ppm is the limit here i gots 334ppm so the guysaid i barely failed. I didnt fail the idle like most i failed the hi speed rev test. Sumone mentiond since its a fail by such a small amount. It could be my computer. Does that sound right. I know i need a new front valve cover gasket. My 2nd spark plug hole has some oil in it from the bad gasket. Could that be it. Also where can i get a valve cover gasket. Meyerz is the only one that carry it here butthey want 80$. Ive never heard of that much for a stick valve cover gasket. Bak to my question. Any one know any sensors i could check tips tricks anything.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Failed nevada smog help!!

Post by Daninski »

220 ppm of what? CO?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3sohc

Post by mx3sohc »

First thing would be to fix the valve cover gasket, you can find a set on ebay for real cheap. And just do your basic tune up which consists of air filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button. And it might not hurt to change the oil while your at it. Are you throwing any codes?
Posey24

Post by Posey24 »

I jus did an oil change few days ago. It has new plugs cap androtor ppm of hydro carbons
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Could be a number of things with 200k on your engine.
Leaky injectors
Bad O2 sensors
Clogged CAT
Bad Coolant Temp sensor
ECU
Basically anything that has to do with emissions and fuel delivery.

Questions:
Have you run a diagnostic on your ecu? (it doesn't have to be showing a CEL)
Have you done any of this work since you've owned the car? A
What kind of mods do you have?
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Posey24

Post by Posey24 »

No real mods right now new cap And rotor new plugs oil change air box is gone k&n filter ram air. Any additives i can use it barly failed:(.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

mazdags94 wrote:

Have you run a diagnostic on your ecu? (it doesn't have to be showing a CEL)
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Posey24

Post by Posey24 »

Whats a CEL and can i use an obd2 from autozone. If so where is the port for it
mx3sohc

Post by mx3sohc »

CEL = Check Engine Light, and I dont think you can have it scanned at autozone. But im not sure because I have never had anything that is odb2.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you don't have an OBD II car you have an OBD I car, Autozone doesn't test OBD I Cars anymore, you'll either have to read the faqs on how to pull CEL codes or buy an OBD I reader
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”