Heater Fan not working...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ianmx3
antispam: No

Heater Fan not working...

Post by ianmx3 »

hi all, i have a 1994 V6 MX-3 and the heater has stopped working. I had another mx-3 and swapped the working blower motor but it still did not work. I can't find a specific fuse for the heater to change, does anyone know where it is or does anyone have ideas to fix if it's not the fuse?

many thanks,

ianmx3
davmac

Re: Heater Fan not working...

Post by davmac »

Most common problem with the heater / blower motor is the resistor pack that provides mutliple speeds goes bad. If this is the case you'll get only high speed. If you get high speed only then replace the resistor pack and you're done.

It sounds like you get nothing at any speed setting. If so there are 4 components between power an the blower motor.
- 30A heater circuit breaker (above the fuse panel) - check to see if the button is out and try to resent by pushing back in
- 10A rear wiper fuse (in fuse panel inside car) - check to see if blown and replace
- Blower relay - mounted on the side of the air box middle of car - think passenger side
- A/C / Heat controller switch

Check the circuit breaker and fuse first. Relay and switch are likely good so check all wiring and connections before assuming problems with the relay or control switch.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The blower motor relay receives power from the 10 Amp Rear Wiper circuit, and also through a 30 Amp circuit breaker.
Both are located in the driver's side kick-panel fuse box. The circuit breaker has a red dot on it, and I believe you can reset it by pushing it. Check both of those things and that'll be a start.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

davmac wrote:Most common problem with the heater / blower motor is the resistor pack that provides mutliple speeds goes bad. If this is the case you'll get only high speed. If you get high speed only then replace the resistor pack and you're done.

It sounds like you get nothing at any speed setting. If so there are 4 components between power an the blower motor.
- 30A heater circuit breaker (above the fuse panel) - check to see if the button is out and try to resent by pushing back in
- 10A rear wiper fuse (in fuse panel inside car) - check to see if blown and replace
- Blower relay - mounted on the side of the air box middle of car - think passenger side
- A/C / Heat controller switch

Check the circuit breaker and fuse first. Relay and switch are likely good so check all wiring and connections before assuming problems with the relay or control switch.
This post definitely wasn't here when I started typing... weird...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”