Electrical HELP!!!!!!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MazdaRider

Electrical HELP!!!!!!

Post by MazdaRider »

ok so not to long ago alt belt poped replaced it
then it poped the belt again
now replaced the alternator :welder: new belt :welder: new batterie :welder:
squeeks like hell :x
then poped another belt
an now has not poped a belt squeeks like crazy
but just now just dies out of know where when it get jumped it turns
on fine with nothing on
turn on the head lights the flicker
turn on the radio it turns on an off

any one might know what the problem is let me know i miss my car an this has been going on for 2 weeks now this torcher
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Electrical HELP!!!!!!

Post by mitmaks »

have alternator checked, you might be surprised as some "new" parts don't work as they should. Check your pulleys to see if they spin freely, you might have a frozen bearing.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MazdaRider

Post by MazdaRider »

yea i know sadly its a pain in the a-- 2 take it off :x
but :shrug: it must b done an
i checked the pullys an their good cleaned them with s brush an no nicks
or bends
thanks 4 the advice
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Maybe check belt and see if you actually getting the right one. One of the napa guys tried to sell me 5 rib belt whereas I needed 4. He was trying to tell me that i had wrong one originally. Little he knew that it was ORIGINAL belt on there.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

check your pulley alignment, that is usually a source of new belt squeal and popping belts off. If the alt had shims on it or a pulley's bearings are bad it will cause that issue.
MazdaRider

Post by MazdaRider »

ok guys so riped of the alt
an it is black as hell
but guess whats the weirdest thing the belt still brand spanking new like its never been put on.
an mitmaks it is a 4 rib also :D thanks
so im going 2 get it tested
Newfie_dan ill check hte alignment also
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

As i've said before this is, or was, a common problem for 4cyl MX-3's. I inexplicably went through 3 alt belts in a week and was only able to solve the problem by buying a factory belt from a dealership.

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense. I can't explain it...but the only belt that did not squeal like a pig and then snap was the Mazda belt.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

could be that the belts you bought were sitting by a window, the uv light tends to dry the belts out so I never buy 1 thats sitting on a rack thats right next to a window.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Or....maybe...the owner of the store where I bought my aftermarket belts stored them on a shelf next to a washing machine with an electric motor generating ozone for like 10 years and that ozone rich atmoshpere degenerated all three of the belts I bought. That has to be it...what other explaination could there be??? besides the UV light thing I mean...which is clearly totally plausible.

LOOK NEWFIE_DAN....A STRAW....GRAB IT!!!!
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MazdaRider

Post by MazdaRider »

ok guys
put up another new alt new belt an the car died again
so then it has to be something else
anyone have anyother ideas
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The belt snapped again, or something else died?

If the belt snapped again...go to the nearest Mazda dealership and buy a stock belt. Install it according to the online manual and you should be fine.

FYI, I was able to get my money back for 2 of the 3 belts that broke on me when this happened to me...so if you have the remnants of the belts you should try.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Well that was rather rude wytbishop check ur facts brother rubber is highly susceptible to UV light drying it out, give a belt a few months in the sun and see what happens to it. Automotive belts like alternator belts and the like are not treated for UV light exposure they are treated for chemical resistance, and abrasion due to use. UV light shrinks the polymers and makes the belt weak stiff and brittle. It only takes about 6 months of direct exposure to sunlight to start the weakening process. I am a certified journeyman heavy equipment tech and have some 15 years of automotive experience and have seen brand new belts break because of it, so before you start shooting off at the mouth best check your facts. Look online 99% of all belt manufacturers tell you to store them in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight. I am not saying that all 3 belts could have been breaking from the same source just that it could be an attributing factor. From my experience belts breaking are most likely due to incorrect tension or pulley alignment. As for your belt giving out again lets look at other things as the source, any chance your belt tension is off? you should be able to deflect the belt about and inch when its tensioned at the widest gap between the pulleys for the correct tension. Also did you check the alignment of the pulleys see if there is any side loading of the belt. Its not hard to mess up the correct tension of the belt with the old style threaded rod adjustment.
MazdaRider

Post by MazdaRider »

the whole car died guys
MazdaRider

Post by MazdaRider »

belt did not snap still looks brand new
an alignment is good
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

hmm ok so belt did not snap and looks good, is there any noise prior to the belt letting go at all? Maybe bad bearings in either the alternator or drive pulley. And be more clear when you say the car died, do you mean lack of battery power or something went pow on you.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”