inspecting spark plug wires

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Re: inspecting spark plug wires

Post by Tunes67 »

I'll chime in a cheap old trick for spotting faulty plug wires. This trick wont tell you if the wires have the proper resistance.. but.. if you have plug wires arcing to ground causing misfires.. this will show you which one and where it is arcing. Wait till really late at night in a very dark place and open the hood while the engine is running. Wait for your eyes to adjust to the darkness and if there is any arcing it will be visible as tiny white pulses along the plug wires. This can also show a disty cap or coil that is arcing to ground as well. A pitch black garage works best.. just be sure you have it well ventilated when running the engine.

Another trick.. grab an inductive timing light.. clip it onto the plug wire you want to check as close to the spark plug as you can get the clip. While the engine is running.. pull the trigger and watch the strobe effect for several minutes.. (Not recommended if your epileptic) The flashes should be regular and consistent. If you see any "pauses" thats a misfire or the spark went to ground somewhere before it got to the sparkplug.

One last thing. When doing these checks.. make sure you have the gap set on your spark plugs correctly. If the gap is to wide, the spark is more likely to find a shorter path to ground. Current always follows the path of least resistance.

Hope this stuff helps

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Daninski
Supporting Member

Rough Idle and Stumbling When Warm

Post by Daninski »

Ok, instead of creating a new post I'll simply ask my question here. I replaced my disty cap and rotor. My motor has 190k on it and the plug wires were replaced at some time with Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm wires. When my engine has been warm for a while I get a miss from idle to around 2k. It got a little worst today so I'm not sure of my next step. I could swap out the disty but that's a bit of work since it's on my MX6 and I'd have to remove stuff. Replacing the plug wires would be easier. My main concern is wasting money. Rockauto could deliver NGK wires to me for about $80 bucks. Suggestions (beside me not being lazy lol)
Last edited by Daninski on March 28th, 2011, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

No one?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Disty! not so hard to get it off the MX6, just some of the airbox needs to move.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

That air box is a real pain. I plan on going to Performance Improvements midnite madness sale and buy another MSD blaster coil, wire, ect and do a HEI on it. I also plan to do a CAI to sh*t can that fu*kin air box.
:D
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”