[WTB] KLDE Pistons - Full set w/ Connecting rods

Looking for an Item you'd like to buy? Post here.
This section is NOT for selling.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

[WTB] KLDE Pistons - Full set w/ Connecting rods

Post by Tunes67 »

Pretty much as the title says.. fishing around to see if anyone has a set of OEM ones laying around they want to get rid of. I am in no real hurry here.. just thought I would check the waters here before checking probetalk & some of the other sites where these might be more common. Lemme know what ya got and how much.. pics would be a VERY cool bonus. Thanks

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
solo_ryder

Re: [WTB] KLDE Pistons - Full set w/ Connecting rods

Post by solo_ryder »

What are you planning man? What if you found a set of ZE pistons and rods?
short4stuff

Post by short4stuff »

I have some... a post on probetalk
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701272211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or if you want, here are the pics:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii22 ... C01061.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii22 ... C01063.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I picked up a KLDE cheap.. also got the 5spd with it out of a 626. Got the wiring harness.. would have the brain too but my brother was a dumbazz and left it in the car when we took it to the wreckyard. The trans is in excellent shape. The engine.. eh.. it has great compression.. but a nasty tap/knock sound coming from the front bank of pistons.. too loud & high up to be a rod knock we think.. likely a cracked piston. And this theory holds true when considering that the previous owner of the car was driving it around with seized rear brakes :shock: But.. this car had awesome maintenance records and still blew 190 on 5 cylinders and 210 on the last one. Sooo.. if all I have to do is replace a piston.. refresh the seals n rings.. timing belt & water pump.. I can do a cheap DE upgrade into my GS for a couple of weekends worth of work. Figured I could use some highend fancy shmancy rings when I do the job in case I ever want to turbo it ;)

But that is why I said I am not in any hurry.. I have to crack open the engine and find out exactly what is wrong with it before I can finalize any plans. I mainly bought the car ($300) for the 5spd. And I aint workin on that engine in the cold of my carport ;) Going to be a month or two before I get too it.

Short4stuff: I will show those pics to my machinist and see what he says. I cant view the thread on probetalk cause I only have 11 posts there LOL How much are you asking for the set?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Erik, does the tap go away when warm? Could be some collapsed lifters
short4stuff

Post by short4stuff »

The close up shows the three pistons that are scuffed. The other three are fine.
Asking 50$
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

does the tap go away when warm? Could be some collapsed lifters
Trust me man.. this is so loud the only thing it can be is something bottom end related. Lifters would be way faster in tempo too. This is happening at ignition. Its possible it could still be a rod knock.. which would be bad news if I have to replace the crank.. the project will be DOA before I even get started LOL But thats ok.. I mainly got the 626 for the transmission. :) I do think from the location of the noise.. that a cracked piston is the most likely.. or maybe thats wishful thinking ;) My machinist agrees with me though so maybe I will get lucky. No shavings in the oil. Still ran smooth with TONS of power even in that 626 with the rear brakes frozen it would move out pretty good ( I drove it up onto the car dolly we used to tow it home ). According to my machinist.. it will be easier to rebalance the engine after replacing the piston if he has multiple pistons to choose from to compare the weight. So I thought I would see what the going rate was. $50 is cheap.. but I have a feeling the 3 scuffed ones wouldnt be usable. But that still gives 3 decent shots at finding a piston that weighs close enough to be reusable. Yes I could buy aftermarket.. or get something from my friends at mazda.. but the whole idea here was to put in a refreshed motor for cheap.. keep the project costs down so I can buy another toy in the summer ;)

Tunes67

AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

I have a bolck with all six in it. It spins freely.
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
mx3sohc
antispam: No

Post by mx3sohc »

I have a set of ZE pistons with new standard bore rings if you would be interested. $75 + Shipping. Also have a set of heads, PM me if you are interested in either.

Return to “MX-3 Related Want to Buy Forum”