Coolant Leak..Cant find the source.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
navymx3
antispam: No

Re: Coolant Leak..Cant find the source.

Post by navymx3 »

damn.,...i just went out with a co worker to check it out, refilled it with water, adn cranked it up...looked under the car, adn it looked like it was pissing water...:( he said that the w/p has a hole in it where it activates when the pump goes bad to allow coolant to get out so the engine dont blow up from the pressure....is that true on these cars?
93 Mazda MX-3 GS V6 24V 5 Speed
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

when w/p goes bad it does leak out coolant. where is it leaking from?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

i cant tell, i dont have a mirror to check, or anyway to tell where exactly its leaking from, ill have to have the mechanic check it out.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Make sure it's not at the top of the coolant neck. Mine leaked there and I thought it was the pump.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

I checked all around the the filler cap, and its not leaking from there, its leaking around my belts, because i looked there with a flash light and it was all wet around there. could be why my belts have been squeaking today and yesterday?
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

like i said the pressure that wasnt there before with the pcv line you had used ot fix the iac line let out the pressure it usually builds up and once that pressure was back the pump couldnt take it. but still dont drive for very long or your going to end up have to replace the headgasket aswell.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You're on crack. Have you ever flushed coolant? It has less pressure than the tap in your kitchen.

Plus, it goes through a 'pressure' cycle every time you turn off the car, or warm it from cold (thermostat closed->open).... your arguement doesn't make sense.

If he drained enough coolant to let the pump run dry, it might damage the seal, but thats about it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

go start your car let it run til it at usual running temp shut it off and take your rad cap off. it does build pressure because of the coolant getting hot. and last time i checked the tap on my kitchen sink didnt put out 8 - 12 psi of pressure like most rad caps. and if tehre was no pressure in a cooling system there would be no reason for an expansion tank.

and its actually a heat cycle not a pressure cycle. im not trying to be a d--- abotu this but....
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

well then ryan, what do you suggest dude? cuz i dont wanna have to buy a new water pump if i dont have to?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

sorry to say it but sounds like you will have to replace that pump. Might as well do your timing belt/tensioners while you're in there. Just have a reputable mechanic do it before you f--- it up.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

well im taking it to pepboys anyway, people say its a good place, others say, not too much. But im going there to get a wheel and tire balance and alignment. so im gunna see if they can fix my leaks.
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

Well, took the car to the shop today...heres what they said...
W/P is leaking ,that will need to be replaced. And in order to do that, will cost around 100$ for a new serpentine belt, and all the labor.
Along with that, my wheel bearings are shot, so will be about 500$ to get that done, and they cant find out why i have a surging idle....soo,,,,not sure what to do guys. I DO NOT have the funds to do that...but If i could find someone who is MX-3 saavy in my area, to help me with this, or to do my water pump fix, I would be soo grateful.
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

how in the hell is it 500 for your bearings. there 60$ each or atleast mine were. and than take your spindles off your self and take them to a machine shop and they should press them in for like 20$. and try cleanigng your iac. just my idea for that and to save you a bit of cash.
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

IDK, i guess its 500$ for the parts and the labor. they said it would take like 5 hours to do that. And around 1000$ to do the water pump, change that out, and the serpentine belt and to redo the timing back to where it was...is that a normal price? or is that insane? because if I could get some help to do it myself...I could save 800$....
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

$1000 to do a water pump :shock: You can buy KLZE shipped to your house for that much

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”