Timing Belt Replacement

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ooELMOoo

Timing Belt Replacement

Post by ooELMOoo »

So my belt started squealing this week for about 1 minute while my car warmed up. After that it was fine.
I was about to leave work and my car started squealing while I was driving and then my engine shut off. After talking with solo_rider and checking my belts. I can stick my finger under neath the timing belt in both the front and the rear. So timing belt/tension-er is done like dinner.

So This weekend I am going to tackle the task of changing the belt and I have heard it is a pain. I am not going to pull the engine as it is in my work parking lot 30Km's from where I live. Any tips from anyone who has changed one without pulling the engine.

I know their is a number of you who have the tools in your back seat and can do it on the side of the road :P.

BTW, I have read the FAQ on timing belt replacement, Just looking for your input!

Thanks
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
JWMX3

Re: Timing Belt Replacement

Post by JWMX3 »

to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt you might want to use the method breaker bar braced against the control arm and crank the car for a split second. works great when youre out in a parking lot with no air tools. I did a ZE timing belt in my buddies driveway with no air/power tools. its not too bad , just take your time and hope its not too cold out :lol:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

It's not that bad, I did a timing belt in the middle of winter. Not that I'd ever want to do that again.

You'll need a deep I think 19mm socket to get the side motor mount nuts off, I had to buy one. And a tiny ratchet with a 10mm socket is really helpful when taking the covers off. A gear puller would be really nice to get the crank pulley off, otherwise you'll be wiggling it around by hand for at least 10 minutes straight before it comes out.

And finally, get a new water pump while you're at it, I didn't think I needed one, and I ended up having to replace it a few months later.

Also, timing belts don't squeal, if they slip enough to squeal then your belt has no teeth left and you car would instantly die. Are you even sure you need a timing belt?
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

Well when it would squeal, the radio would go hay wire and once the car completely shut off. No other belt that I think of would effect the car that much. And it has had troubles starting in the past week since the squealing started. I would have to pump the clutch a couple of times to get the car to turn.

When I took off the covers, I could slip my fingers under the timing belt. So I am assuming it is my timing belt as the car shutting off and not starting was linked to the squealing. My AC belt was cracked 3 months ago and I go that replaced.

Do you think it could be something else?
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

ooELMOoo wrote:
When I took off the covers, I could slip my fingers under the timing belt.

Do you think it could be something else?
explain more... do you mean between the cam pulley and timing belt ?
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

Yes, where the teeth on the belt meet the pulley. I can wiggle it around and put my figure under it, it's not tight
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
mmmx3

Post by mmmx3 »

why not tow your car home to do the work?

at this age of our cars, some other parts might be gone
at certain times as well.

i'd suggest if you gonna change timing belt and why
don't you spend a bit more money to change the water
pump and pulleys, other drive belts as well?

just my opinion.
ken
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Only the serpentine belts squeel when they slip overtop of the pulleys. Starting and electrical problems could also be associated with the belt driving the alternator. I think you're a tad too quick to jump to the timing belt conclusion.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mmmx3

Post by mmmx3 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Only the serpentine belts squeel when they slip overtop of the pulleys. Starting and electrical problems could also be associated with the belt driving the alternator. I think you're a tad too quick to jump to the timing belt conclusion.

hehe i haven't looked n read enough again.

i thought he wanted to change the timing belt and suggested to change other stuff as well.

i think usually timing belt shouldn't make that kinda noise. at least i haven't heard of it.
the engine will still run even with a loose timing belt.... but do u know how loose is considered
as too loose? or normal?

a new drive belt can squeel as well. need to look into more.
ken
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

To tow the car would be around $200 as it is a good 30Km from my house. I want to at least try and fix it first!

I will take the oil cap off today and look at the gears when I turn the car. If the belt is broken, the gears should not move. Should that not show if the belt is broken?

I think :?:
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I highly doubt you completely snapped the timing belt, what happens after time is that the tensioner fails or the belt gets stretched to the point where it would skip a tooth or 2 under load. Again, after reading what you wrote, I really doubt your timing belt's gone.

The fact that you have to pump the clutch to start it has nothing to do with the timing belt, next time just press the clutch down really hard, the clutch switches on these cars tend to wear out over time.

The fact that your radio went crazy and your car shut off would make me think your alternator belt is slipping and your battery's in bad condition. Tighten the alternator belt tensioner and jump start your car, see if that works.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
jmdearras
antispam: No

Post by jmdearras »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Only the serpentine belts squeel when they slip overtop of the pulleys. Starting and electrical problems could also be associated with the belt driving the alternator. I think you're a tad too quick to jump to the timing belt conclusion.
I disagree. A timing belt tensioner pulley can sieze up and squeel against the back of the timing belt.
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

Great conversations! you guys really know your stuff :P.

I am going out tomorrow to my car and will check out the alternator belt and test everything.
I will let you know how it goes!
Thanks
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

jmdearras wrote:
I disagree. A timing belt tensioner pulley can sieze up and squeel against the back of the timing belt.
True, did not think of that.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Its much easier when your engine does not have the timing belt covers, I did mine while the engine was out tho. it was a 10 minute job. I live in an area where it rarely snows, rains(pours when it does) , no salt on the roads so its safe for me.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”