Passed emissions test with hollowed out Cat in stock GS.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Passed emissions test with hollowed out Cat in stock GS.

Post by fowljesse »

This is the 2nd time I passed after hollowing out the cat when it got plugged up 4 years ago. It just turned 177,777 miles (of course I got a picture), and runs great. It still breaks the front tires loose once in a while, when my girlfriend drives it, getting into the flow of traffic. I did cheat a little, though. I use about 2¾ Oz. Acetone per fillup (10 gallons), and this time I added about 1¼Oz. 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. I still average 34mpg Hwy, and 29 in town.
Hooray, MX-3!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
stereoking15

Re: Passed emissions test with hollowed out Cat in stock GS.

Post by stereoking15 »

holy crap jesse, maybe you could help me pass emissions with no cat and a klze or just as easy on the registration mark the vehicle as not at this address and no emission testing
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, man. Just try my cocktail. Do you have a Cat? They look to see that it's there. You have 2 chances, if you fail the first one. I think that if you have a good cat on there, and use the Acetone and Alcohol, you have a good chance. I'm sure you know, too, to make sure the engine is hot at the time of the test. Good luck, and let me know if there'sanything I can do.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I dunno Jesse, that acetone and alcohol thing didn't do it for me =/ plus when I researched it there is no evidence about it other than people's experiences, which are half and half.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Sorry to read that, _-Night-Shade-_.
It's definitely not a miracle, and won't fix something that is wrong, but I know from about 4 year's experience that it works for me. There was another guy on here that experimented with it, and said that although he got a few more mpg, it wasn't worth the effort, because he was using a cup to measure, which I tried, too, and it wasn't fun (That's why I use a Turkey baster now).
My Cat has absolutely no catalyst in it, and I passed. I would not recommend using Alcohol any time other than emissions, because it can corrode stuff.
Also, injector cleaner is about 90% Acetone. :shrug:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'll keep this info in mind if I have any problems passing next week.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

You're lucky you're in WA, that wouldn't fly in Cali lol.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm actually registered in Oregon. I don't know if it's different than WA, but Portland is full of tree-huggers (I'm one, too :wink: ), so I would think it's somewhat stringent. True about Cali, though. I think they even check to see that your cat is the right temperature. That must be why there are so many gas guzzling old pieces of crap there (they aren't held be the same standards).

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”