Really odd 5 speed problem...

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Work-N-Progress
antispam: No

Really odd 5 speed problem...

Post by Work-N-Progress »

I have a 1993 GS SE and for some reason, sometimes when I go to put it in first, the shifter actually drops.. almost like its coming off some sort of hinge or something. I have no clue what the hell the problem is. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Any insight or help would be appreciated.
Black 1993 Mx-3 GS SE
jmdearras

Re: Really odd 5 speed problem...

Post by jmdearras »

Sound like your shifter mount is falling apart.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Common issue. There is a bracket under the car that holds the shifter up in place. After time the rubber hangers that hold it in corrode and deteriorate and the shifter will fall down. Best thing to do is go to a wreckers and get another shifter stabilizer bar or make a WTB post to see if anyone has one locally.

There was also anti drop brackets made, but IDK if they are made anymore. Do a search
DaBob94MX3

Post by DaBob94MX3 »

I had the same problem with my 94 and personally since at the time I had a major lack of funds I tack welded mine to my car. Though i had to cut and tack it three times because the first time i didn't think about placement so I wasn't able to shift into reverse. So if you choose to do that be very precise but make sure not to weld to much or you'll never be able to get it off.
Work-N-Progress

To be honest, im 19 and have NO CLUE how to weld lol. I sell cars and talk... thats about it :P If you had to rate the difficulty of changing the bracket, where would you guys place it? Would common sense get me through, or is there alot involved in fixing it?
Black 1993 Mx-3 GS SE
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

all i did was lift it back into place, drilled 3 holes to run bolts/washers and nyloc nuts thru. its been 4 years and it still is in place. even survived getting hit.
1993 White gs klze.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Those anti-drop brackets are still available, the guy had some as of a couple months ago. I didn't bother with the bracket or getting a new control rod assembly.

I removed the control rod and used a good rubber epoxy and let it set up for a good day. Haven't had an issue since.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Work-N-Progress

If anyone happens to have, or know of a How To or have pictures, SOMETHING I would appreciate seeing it. I really dont know what the setup looks like. I havent pulled it apart yet. Help is always appreciated though.
Black 1993 Mx-3 GS SE
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Have you been formally introduced to the search button at the top of the page yet?

Search button, meet work-in-progress; work-in-progress, meet search button. There we have it.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I can help you with that too.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Transmissions”