switching to synthetic oil

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cweed
antispam: No

switching to synthetic oil

Post by cweed »

I searched and couldn't find an answer.
so my mx3 has 186k miles on it k8 engine. I want to switch over to synthetic but not sure what oil grade to use. I didn't notice im about 150 miles over for an oil change. I believe they put 20-50 but not sure if I should use the same on synthetic since I'll be doing it myself. note I have no mods on my car except a cai which doesnt make much of a difference. I'm thinking of buying castrol syntec so anyone know what oil grade buy?
'94 GS 1.8 V6 5 Speed Manual - cold air intake - hei mod - klze awaiting install
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: switching to synthetic oil

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

The recommended viscosity is 10W30, or 5w30 for cold climate. That's the viscosity you should use.
Using a more viscous oil will, over time, damage your oil pump and the top of your engine.
If, when using the recommended viscosity, you notice your engine looses power, vibrates a lot or smokes off the exhaust, you should add a good oil additive, like Z-Max or ProLong in your next oil change.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I've been using mobil1 synthetic 5w30 since 50 000 kms (146,000 now) and would never go back to conventional. It's worth the extra price IMHO. Royal Purp is 'sposeda be good too.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I used Mobil full syn for a few years and I will never go back to it after using Amsoil... sure it's pricey but it's way better IMO

I am using 5w-30 in both of my cars - it doesn't get very cold or hot here.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I was running Amsoil 5w40 Euro synthetic on my last MX. That stuff was pricy, but it cleaned the motor out good and I could go at least 7k on oil changes and the oil would stay fairly clean even over 7k (was using amsoil ford f150 filter as well with oil relocation kit).

Now I just run 5w30 quaker state or castrol. I should run some synthetic, but after running amsoil for so long I don't trust other synthetics like Mobil or the likewise.
cweed

Post by cweed »

so I switched to 5-30 castrol syntec, right before the oil change I did a seafoam cleanout. engine sounds louder and runs a little smoother.
'94 GS 1.8 V6 5 Speed Manual - cold air intake - hei mod - klze awaiting install
MX3-4U2NV

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

I just got my MX-3 September 3rd, about to do first oil change, and will be switching to Amsoil.

I have used Amsoil in all my vehicles, and I am a vendor for Amsoil, so I get it relatively cheap. I get Amsoil for the cost of conventional oil, or cheaper, for all my family members.

I even have documentation of a 45year old friend of mines' Civic. He switched to Amsoil, never did an oil change in 23,00KM. Took some oil to a facility for testing, turns out it still had 87% efficiency.

I swear by Amsoil.

I saw someone mention Royal Purple... DON'T DO IT. Regardless if I swear by Amsoil or not, there is a site I will try to find that is hard core anti-royal purple. Apparently RP has caused a crap load of problems in NUMEROUS different makes of engines.

I even have a report someone here in a filing cabinet I should scan in to the computer, that shows you the test results for RP. They took 5 or 6 different brands of oil, ran them all in the same motor, for the same amount of time. RP never made it past being the third worst oil of them all.

Amsoil was on top, then two other brands, the RP, then two other brands.

I'm not trying to preach, just telling it how it is.
MoMx-3

Post by MoMx-3 »

i just run 10w30 castrol gtx works fine for me with hypertronich wear resistors haha
Stock 93 GS let the upgrading begin
Work-N-Progress

Post by Work-N-Progress »

Time to revive an old thread, with a question. How many Litres of oil do our cars take? I have the V6.
Black 1993 Mx-3 GS SE
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Usually between 4.5 - 5L. I usually get the 4L jug and a 1L jug and I have about 1/2 the 1L jug left over
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

MX3-4U2NV, I am VERY interested in any evidence you have about RP. I've used it for years on several cars. I just passed emissions with a hollowed out Cat, and VERY old RP. I've had ALOT of stuff going on, and am probably over 7,000 miles on the oil.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”