ze --> de parts?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xerostatus

ze --> de parts?

Post by xerostatus »

Alright, so I kinda figure this question has already been asked a quintillion times before, but a journey over to the search function has yielded little aside from a plethora of irrelevant posts, given the rather broad nature of the search terms involved... but anyways--

I've got a slightly wrecked MX-3, which i've done a ZE swap on. After the accident, I bought myself a nice MX-6 LS with the insurance money (and obviously kept the mx-3 as well). Now the obvious move is to simply swap in the ZE. That would indeed be most optimal, but I'm currently broke and don't possess the tools/know-how/money to do this. Which brings me to my question:

What parts can I directly swap over from the ZE to the DE? I know my way around some wrenches, but I'm not all too tech-savvy; I am aware the cams are of the higher performance persuasion, and maybe the intake manifold? How involved would such work be?

Now, I ask this because i plan on getting rid of the MX-3 (its exterior+interior has definitely seen better days) and while the ZE swap is most certainly a selling point, given the body damage, i dont think i can get much for it anyways. so I figured id swap over some parts to make the mx-6 a little bit quicker, then get rid the 3.

Keep in mind, I lack the finances to do any significant jobs that i cant do on my own with reasonable set of tools.

Any shove into the right direction is appreciated. Thanks!
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Slammed6

Re: ze --> de parts?

Post by Slammed6 »

Well I'm not far from you, And i have all the tools and experience to do anything you need. :lol:

Well the intake manifold is usually the easiest thing to swap, and i am assuming you have the Curve neck ZE manifold on the MX-3, which sometimes has some issues with rubbing the hood on the Probe/MX-6.

The cams would be next swap and can be quite labor intense, and are a much more difficult swap due to the fact that you have to remove practically the whole top of the motor, and having to set cam timing.

The heads would be the next level of performance and even more labor intense than the cams.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Blah, why would you swap over parts, when you can jsut swpa the whole motor.As long as the motor ran nicely on the MX-3 it will run just the same on the MX-6. This is assuming it has not been sitting in hte busted MX-3 for very long. If it has been sitting you might run into dry gaskets, which has different levels of severity.
You also should consider each motors condition. If the ZE needs some work (timing belts or gaskets kind of stuff), but the DE is fine then leave the DE in until you have money to repair the ZE then swap it in.
If Slammed6 is willing to help you out, take him up on his offer. It is always more helpful to have an extra set of hands, tools and brain ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

Oh, right. I didn't clarify that the ZE is a bit tired itself, which is why im a little more reluctant to throw money into at this point. The mx-3 has been sitting, but ill regularly start her up, get her warmed up, etc even take it on a drive occasionally.

Yo, slammed6: wanna help me do a rebuild+swap? heh....
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I'm always down to do work, I know the MX-3, MX-6, and Probe inside out. I also have lots of KL parts still in my storage.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

If the MX6 engine is in good condition I would leave it as is and eventually swap cams in or something but otherwise, why would you put in a tired ZE into a potentially good running DE car? How many kms/miles on the MX6?

Part out the ZE and MX-3 to make money. Enjoy the MX6.

What's quicker anyways? Can you feel much difference between the MX-3 ZE and MX6?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”