Got GS parts, for an RS!!!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
tmac_90
antispam: No

Got GS parts, for an RS!!!

Post by tmac_90 »

I bought a 92 GS with a KLZE engine for parts for my 1996 1.6L Mx3. Paid only 400$ for it. Planning on using some parts, and selling the engine afterward. Do you guys think I can use the GS' front suspensions for my RS??? Really gotta do something soon, mine are finished... Really hoping I can use them. What about windshields... same everything right??? Anything I should watch out for? Any definite nono???

Thanks
Gabi
waspone

Re: Got GS parts, for an RS!!!

Post by waspone »

Drive the GS forget the RS...
but i know at least the suspension will swap i did it
u can also swap the rear assembly to get the disc brakes and rear strut brace
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i also say just go with the GS
tmac_90

Post by tmac_90 »

No way lol. Its previous owner was arrested and lost his license, officer also ordered an inspection be done. And forget that! It's too late now anyways, it's now considered scrap. And I can't swap its engine to my car myself, or willing to dish out too much money on the job. So unfortunately, i'm stuck with zippy little 1.6...

BUT, i gotta say... I took it out for a spin on the highway tonight... was sick :P. I kept saying to myself "mannnn I want this", like a freakin baby lol.

And yeah waspone, was thinking the same thing about the rear brakes. But thanks for confirming about my suspensions... Just wanted to be 100%. Planning on doing the job myself, I've looked at a few DIYs... seems relatively simple. Anything I should look out for in the Mx3's setup???
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

just to let you know, i swapped the suspension (spring/strut as a combo) from a '93 GS to my '92 RS and it raised it by like 1"!!! the springs are stiffer, but because they're made to go on a heavier car, on the RS they lift up the car so bad it looks like a truck. not even kidding. i went from like 2 fingers to almost my whole hand. if needed, i can take pics.
the rear end is a nice idea. i'm gonna do it myself in the next month or so, depending on how much i get for xmas.
lighter rotating assemblies equals better traction and better braking. make sure you swap the brake booster on the front, as disc brakes require more pressure than drums. plus they look bad-a--! :twisted:
the rear brace is a good addition too. and while you're at it, swap your sway bars. will make the car more... turn in happy. trust me.
if i think of anything else, i'll edit.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

MapaX5 wrote:make sure you swap the brake booster on the front, as disc brakes require more pressure than drums. plus they look bad-a--! :twisted:
Whatever you do, don't forget that. My car is pretty much a GS because all the suspension and drivetrain are from a GS except the brake booster. I actually can't press the brake pedal all the way to the floor no matter how hard I try. I never realized that problem until recently.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Mad Cow wrote:
MapaX5 wrote:make sure you swap the brake booster on the front, as disc brakes require more pressure than drums. plus they look bad-a--! :twisted:
Whatever you do, don't forget that. My car is pretty much a GS because all the suspension and drivetrain are from a GS except the brake booster. I actually can't press the brake pedal all the way to the floor no matter how hard I try. I never realized that problem until recently.
How do you know that that's not enough pressure to lock up the brakes? You did this while stationary I'm guessing lol.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

i wouldn't know what HIS problem is, but i know this for a FACT. i've locked up my wheels on cars that the guys just swapped the rear disc assb. to it and watching the car the rears never lock up while the fronts do actually easier than before the conversion. someone else also mentioned the proportioning valve SHOULD be replaced, although it's only like 55-45 GS to 60-40 (RS) so unless you're like autocrossing and stuff, you probably won't tell the difference. but brakes are not something i spare expenses on. plus you already have it, so it'll be free! lol. oh, and you need to bleed your clutch as well!
why you ask? because we "share" the fluid. so if you loose fluid on the brake conversion, you'll risk getting an air bubble on the clutch line and then that'll suck. lol. i'm telling you cuz I HAVE done it.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
Mad Cow wrote:
How do you know that that's not enough pressure to lock up the brakes? You did this while stationary I'm guessing lol.
Oh no I was moving, the first few times I had to stop hard I just thought the brakes were weak because my pads were in bad shape, but then I tried pressing the pedal to the floor while stationary and I just couldn't. And the GS has different front calipers too if I'm not mistaken, I'm guessing my car has those too.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”