Axle Removal

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jarek93
antispam: No

Axle Removal

Post by Jarek93 »

I've searched it, and all I find is someone saying how their axle is stuck and then all the replies/help they got was bits and pieces.
I need to know in a detailed manner, how to remove the axle from a 92 mazda mx-3 GS. I have absolutely no clue, and if someone can just give me a step by step how, that would be great.

So far I've removed the battery/air-cleaner and now i'm trying to figure out what else to do.

When your standing infront of the hood, with those items removed, and you look into the car, you see a big block with part of it bolted in sideways with nuts. We removed those, and that is the stage we are at. We need to remove the axle in order to get to the clutch, so were kind've hitting 2 birds with one stone so to speak, since we have axles and a new clutch to replace.
wytbishop

Re: Axle Removal

Post by wytbishop »

I put this down a few weeks ago for another member.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... on#p525411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Jarek93

Post by Jarek93 »

what size do i need to use on the axle nut.
google said 36mm, i need smaller. [after taking the tire off/breaks off/ there is a nut.
http://www.mazdatrix.com/faqpics/frontbrg/brg01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

32mm on mine
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you do not need to take off battery/air cleaner to take off axle. You need to take off wheel, caliper w/pads, rotor, disconnect spindle from sway bar (at least how I did it) so it slides out of the way. Once its out of the way you get a prybar and pry against trans case and pry out old axle.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Jarek93

Post by Jarek93 »

how do i remove the steering arm from the spindle.
basically after removing the nut, the screw i guess you can call it, is stuck in the steering. We tried hammering it. It only spread it out. a.k.a didn't work
-im asking as i go btw-
davmac

Post by davmac »

Wytbishop offers an excellent write up. I have no argument with it, but will add a couple options / tips for removing and installing a transmission if you do the job without a helper.
ALWAYS SUPPORT THE CAR WITH JACK STANDS.
I have always had an easy time mating the engine and transmission with the engine just slightly angled down toward the transmission end.

Supporting the engine from underneath with a jack and piece of wood between the jack and the oil pan will work, but often will get in the way if you also use a jack to raise and lower the transmission when you remove and install. I have found it better to support the engine from above. This can be done many ways. Sometimes removing the hood will give you maximum flexibility to support the engine from above. I assume you will be working in a garage and have access to wood.
- If you have an engine hoist / cherry picker style then use it to support the engine from above. This is slick and could be a good investment if you think you’ll be pulling engines as part of your diy auto work.
- I have usually used a cable hoist / puller or winch – sometimes called a “come along”. For about $20 you should be able to get a capable 1 or 2 ton cable hoist. If you screw a couple 2 x 4s across 2 ceiling joists and then wrap a chain around them with a clevis to hold the chain together and offer a hook for the puller / hoist. Remember you are just supporting the engine (max 300lbs) not lifting the car.
- Finally the least expensive and simple way to support the engine – though it is not adjustable is with a couple of 2 x 4s or a 4 x 4across the strut towers – or since the engine is mostly forward of the strut towers just across the engine compartment. Strap or chain the engine to the 2x4s or 4x4.

You can safely use a jack to move your transmission, but you’ll want to build a small platform that you’ll attached in place of the jack saddle and use a lashing strap like this or a ratcheting strap to hold the transmission to the jack. The idea is a diy transmission jack. You can see my contraption - a 1 foot square 3/4" plywood platforem attached to a standard jack. I screwed some 2 x 2s to the plywood for additional height - here holding a Pontiac Grand Prix 4t65e automatic transmission.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Jarek93

Post by Jarek93 »

my question still remains.
basically after removing the nut, the screw i guess you can call it, is stuck in the steering. We tried hammering it
davmac

Post by davmac »

Jarek93 wrote:how do i remove the steering arm from the spindle.
basically after removing the nut, the screw i guess you can call it, is stuck in the steering. We tried hammering it. It only spread it out. a.k.a didn't work
-im asking as i go btw-
Oh no - do not hammer on the outer tie rod ball joint that is in the spindle. Use a puller or this.

You might get lucky by hitting the spindle next to the steering outer tie rod. If not lucky you will need to use a 2 arm puller or the tool shown in the link. First use your puller to put some pressure on the tie rod end (you’re pressing the threaded section up and out of the spindle) then hit the side of the spindle next to the threaded end of the ball joint. A couple of whacks when under pressure by the puller or tool shown will be enough to separate the 2.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Jarek93 wrote:my question still remains.
basically after removing the nut, the screw i guess you can call it, is stuck in the steering. We tried hammering it
sent you link to online manual. It should be clear how to do step by step after reading it. You're trying to remove ball joint and there's special tool for that. I did NOT separate steering from spindle. I've separated spindle from strut and from sway bar, it was easier for me.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I think you're talking about the tie rod end, you need to get it out with either a pickle fork (will most likely damage it but is quick and easy) or get a tie rod end removal tool which looks like a vice with a bolt.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
davmac

Post by davmac »

2 arm puller looks like this.

You can rent a puller or the ball joint separator from some auto parts stores. At the Oreilly stores near me their rental works by you basically buy the item and then return it for a full refund. Pretty nice you pay $0 for rental. Otherwise lots of tool rental would have these toolsfor reasonable rates.
Jarek93

Post by Jarek93 »

thanks guys, really big help.
I took off the steering with the 2 end fork from autozone. but the spindle just does NOT want to come off. I'm referring to the lower ball joint, here. http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... _M-005.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will a forked puller work? or do I need something else. It does not want to cooperate.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I have had success putting the nut back on upside down, untill it was just (maybe a bit before) flush with the bolt, and hit it with a hammer. This way you don't damage the threads. Just be super careful, becaues if you ruin those threads, you ruin the knuckle.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Jarek93 wrote:thanks guys, really big help.
I took off the steering with the 2 end fork from autozone. but the spindle just does NOT want to come off. I'm referring to the lower ball joint, here. http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... _M-005.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will a forked puller work? or do I need something else. It does not want to cooperate.
With the bolt that holds it out, it usually wiggles free with some force. If not hidding it with something to force it out should work.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”