BP charging problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
BP-mx3
antispam: No

BP charging problem

Post by BP-mx3 »

I just swapped a BP out of the junk yard into my 93 mx3. Well the charge light is staying. The motor was already out when I went to the junk yard. It was an automatic and I've already switched the throttle body. The ECU I got from the junk yard off a manual and the harness. The alternator is new and it smokes from that area. If anyone can help it would be great. I want to see what this motor will do with a little head work and a rebuild.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: BP charging problem

Post by umcamara »

Well... here's a start... is it charging??
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Also, don't forget to replace the thermostat receiver unit. Its the little one wire sensor on the front right of the B6 block. (below disty)

I had alty problems with my BP, too. Then I put my b6 alty on and life was good.

smoking=bad. burning the belt, or the alternator?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

If you are seeing smoke chances are the belt is slipping or the alternator is seized. Did you check to see if it spins freely? Either way, I'd say it's time for a new belt. If you have access to a multimeter, set it to volts, whatever level is higher than 12v or you will could fry it and set it up + to + and then a ground, turn all accessories off and see what it reads. It should be around 14-14.5v and then turn on a few things(lights, hvac, anything except defroster). If you are still around 14v, it should be good, if not check your wiring to the alty and possibly get it checked. The Alternator wiring tends to get fragile with age so it might not be making a good connection or broke off completely like happened to me, not fun in a downpour to mess with.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
BP-mx3

Post by BP-mx3 »

It is charging. Well I took the negetive off and it still stayed but I've let it run for a while and it will squeal but smoke then quit. Its a new belt. When I get home I will try the thermostat. Thanks.
BP-mx3

Post by BP-mx3 »

Could you please supply pictures of the sending unit. Is it the two prong right angle ground?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

it is a single wire.

let me search the archives...

nothin.

Its a single wire sensor, below the disty, directly left of the thermostat housing, above the coolant bypass tube(metal) and just beside the rubber hose tapping off of it and into the block. Also, just to the right of the exhaust mani sheild.

I literally surrounded it. If you can't find it, I can't help you. This is on the b6, by the way. slightly different location on BP.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
BP-mx3

Post by BP-mx3 »

Alright thank you again.I fixed the smoking from the alternator. It was kinda loose which I of course missed.
BP-mx3

Post by BP-mx3 »

Well I was thinking you were talking about the O2 sensor at first when I read it. I changed that and nothing. Its still staying on. Should I run along all the wires and make sure they are all tight and not broken.

Also there is a blue wiring in the front of the engine bay that is not connected to anything. I grounded it hoping it was a random ground I may have forgotten but it sparked and blew the acce. fan or alternate fan. Could that be the problem?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

solid blue? was it stock-looking or aftermarket? I don't think we have solid blue in the stock harness. How sure are you it was connected to nothing? You probably just blew whatever it was connected to, or popped its fuse. If it was unattatched, you should have just removed it...

Amplifier remote wires are usually blue, but not sure why that would be in the engine bay....

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
BP-mx3

Post by BP-mx3 »

Its stock that I know of. I didn't do anything to the car but let it sit awaiting parts. Never put the car on the road in hopes of swapping it. Solid blue. Yeah it looks like it was cut so thats when I grounded it and it blew that fuse.
There os also a homemade wire that runs to my battery directly that is attached in the left rear corner of the engine bay. I think they are relays and I don't understand why it is like that.
BP-mx3

Post by BP-mx3 »

IT is charging. Put a volt meter to the battery and it said with the car off 12.6. Then turned the car on and it read 15.6 something around there. Is it just staying on because different dash wirings then?
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

I posted a picture of the temp sensor awhile back, here it is again:

its in the gold colored sensor in the center of the photo, this is a BP.

BP-mx3

Post by BP-mx3 »

Thank you. I believe I fixed it; or really there wasn't a problem. I'm guessing it was charging the whole time. Just I need to fix my brake assist broblem and its a running car again(with the stay-on-all-the-time neon called a charge light)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”