shifter questions

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
trife86
antispam: No

shifter questions

Post by trife86 »

hey guys i just picked up a 92 mx-3 4cyl and got a few questions about shifters..... first thing is it has a big silly metal shift knob, anyone know where to pick up a nice plain leather one? another question i got is. before this car i had a 5liter mustang and the shifter had 'stops' so i can throw / bang a gear as hard as i want and the stop screw would stop the shifter after gear is engaged so therefore you cannot bend the shift forks.... i got used to this so i throw my gears really hard and dont want to break my little mazda
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: shifter questions

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I'm not sure what you mean but that sounds like a really bad habbit :S
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
trife86

Post by trife86 »

it was kinda like a plate with screws u adjust so when the shifter is in say 3rd gear you cant push it any further up after the gear is engaged. so you cant damage it. not sure of the correct name of it but it was on my Pro 5.0 mustang shifter

ImageImage

Those screws stop you from extending the shift forks
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The Special Editions in 93' had leather interior and you could theoretically find a leather shifter knob from an SE, but they are scarce. I got one from my Mazda dealer but he had to scour the continent and found one in Minnesota I think. They told him it was probably the last new one in North America.

You could probably take a stock plastic one to an upholsterer and have it covered for not too much...if you’re stuck on leather. If you just want to get rid of the ugly metal one you can find a stock one on any junk yard MX-3.

As for shifting aggressively. I would avoid it. The shifter pivot is isolated from the support assembly by a rubber insert which is bonded to the support and it’s notoriously weak. You’ll likely wind up ripping the shifter out of the support and you’ll also pound out the shifter bushings.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I would like to add there is no benefit whatsoever to slamming gears in with lots of force. There is only the potential to break things.

I would break the habit, if not for your own cars sake, but if you ever need to drive someone else's car. I know I'd be upset if someone was hammering my car like that.
trife86

Post by trife86 »

Will aftermarket shift knobs say from a miata fit ?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Yes.

I'd suggest either a monster knob or similar, or a mazdaspeed miata or mazdaspeed protege knob. The latter 2 are more $$, but they'll hold their value.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”