Changing over to ZE disty..Help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Changing over to ZE disty..Help

Post by Mooneggs »

on the diagram you can see the little square on the plug - this represents the clip on the plug. plugs can only go on one way so just make sure the clip is facing up (he laid it on the diagram with the clip up as it should be)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Is that the plug from the ZE harness? I don't think anyone has ever documented the wire colors.

Look at the pics in thisthread. I wired both plugs into the wire harness so I could switch between ZE and K8. The locating slot on the K8 disty faces up, but on the ZE disty it faces the engine. If you lined the locating slot on your 4 pin plug up with the locating slot on the existing 6 pin plug (so that the locating slots are back to back) the wires match up.

You don't need to do what I did, but it sort of illustrates the orientation a little bit.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mooneggs wrote:on the diagram you can see the little square on the plug - this represents the clip on the plug. plugs can only go on one way so just make sure the clip is facing up (he laid it on the diagram with the clip up as it should be)
Exactly! Ya, those wire colors I got was from one harness, but it doesn't mean it's the same colors for all Mazda's that use that connector. As you can see, I added an (*)asterix saying that the wire colors may vary. That's also the reason why I numerated the connections, you can match them up without the wire colors, just by going by the wires running to the connector
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
lucifer
antispam: No

Post by lucifer »

is the 1k ohm resistor a must??

greetings kevin
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yes. without it your tach will not work. I got a pack of 100 resistors at Radio Shack for I think, $11. It contained 5 1K ohm resistors.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

If i would place the KLZE disti on the engine. Will it self adjust (for timing purposes)??
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
mccabe

Post by mccabe »

no it wont you gotta get pistion 1 to its max stoke hight by covern the spark plug hole to that cylinder and rotate the crank untill you feel compersion on you finger, i took a flash light and looked down to see were it was and made sure that it could go any higher , after that just make sure that the rotor is face on the number one spark tower and you should be good to go. thats what i have done but the engins not in my car yet so if im wrong can someone correct me. but thats how i did it. not mean to thread jack but is there any pros to this other than great spark power through the rpm range :shrug:
92 mx-3 gs,klde,spec stage II+ clutch,awr 88mounts, remaned axles,CAI,seven nipple ditsy, new alpine speakers,panasonic 7'' dvd deck ,10'' kicker l5, hei mod, removed air box. 17 sortmaxs 10 spoke white nexan n700 tires
now wrote off with a watermelon sized dent in the driver side quater panel

93 mx-3 gs black klze fully loaded
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The point of the HEI Mod is mostly reliability. Getting the coil and igniter away from the head will help them last much much longer. Also not having to replace the stock disty if something does fail will save you hundreds. If you want to see any performance increase you have to get into MSD ignition or other higher intensity systems.

To answer Whitefinish’s question, the ZE disty works exactly the same as the stock one. Moving the distributor without jumping TEN and GRD has no effect. If your base timing is properly set, you can just swap it on. If you’ve never set the base timing I would do so according to the online manual.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mccabe

Post by mccabe »

ok so i have to ask what is the base timeing? :shrug:, i just put a klze ditys onto my klde and timed like i metioned above so it should work fine should it not?
92 mx-3 gs,klde,spec stage II+ clutch,awr 88mounts, remaned axles,CAI,seven nipple ditsy, new alpine speakers,panasonic 7'' dvd deck ,10'' kicker l5, hei mod, removed air box. 17 sortmaxs 10 spoke white nexan n700 tires
now wrote off with a watermelon sized dent in the driver side quater panel

93 mx-3 gs black klze fully loaded
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The ECU is capable of adjusting the timing based on various sensor inputs. So it will advance or retard the timing of the spark based on the conditions present in the engine at any given nanosecond. The base timing is the timing of the ignition without any adjusment by the ECU. So you set the base timing in diagnostic mode and that sets the instant that the spark will occur based on nothing but piston and cam/crank position. The base timing should be set to 10ºBTDC (I think...I'd have to check to be sure). That means that in the absense of any other input requiring a timing adjustment, the spark will occur 10°BTDC.

Then when the taken out of diagnostic mode, the ECU will either add or removing timing from that value as necessary based on sensor information and its programming.

Savvy?
My Worklog
My feedback thread
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

So, do you mean that the ecu changes the igintion timing or do you have to leave to rotor loosend so it will set itself?

Worklog
Worklog click
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You set the base timing with the ECU in diagnostic mode by turning the distributor as you would on any car. Then when the ECU is in control it adjusts the timing electronically by controlling the trigger signal to the ignitor.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Oke, today tried to set my igition timing.

When I put the paperclip in the diagnostic box I can't start the engine. (It dies directly)

If I set my ignition timing when the car is running, then put it in diag mode its possible.
But when it's in diag mode @ 10 btdc, it switches to 3 or 4 btdc when I remove the paperclip.

Is this normal?

Worklog
Worklog click
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If it won't start in diagnostic mode I'd say it's way out of tune. I don't think it's possible to switch to diag mode with the engine running...I'd have to check that. Assuming what you did is in fact a workable procedure, the fact that the ECU is advancing your timing 4-6 degrees supports the idea that the engine is poorly tuned.

Try playing with the Idle Air screw to see if you can get it running with the paperclip in. Once you get the idle set, get the TPS set and then try the timing again.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Oke, so if I understand correctly the timing should stay @ 10 degrees. In and Out of diag mode.

My next steps would be:

* adjust the idle screw in diag mode so the car wil start
* adjust the tps
* set the timing correctly

Worklog
Worklog click

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”