mx3 problem! Need Help

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Berbz
antispam: No

mx3 problem! Need Help

Post by Berbz »

OK so heres the deal, this isnt a huge deal but my 1992 mazda mx3 gs seems to sputter a little bit when i get to 3000 rpms or higher when driving. It feels like the car should sound smoother than it is and seems like it is losing speed because of it. I had some crappy plugs and wires but i replaced them with some nice ones and it still sputters the same.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks
Supppp
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: mx3 problem! Need Help

Post by umcamara »

Any check engine light?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Berbz

Post by Berbz »

since ive had the car the engine light has never came on.
It doesnt sputter alot but its enough to notice and it really feels like its slowing down my car
Supppp
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

This is really something you should be searching for, but I'll play nice. You need to start looking for a vacuum leak in your intake (after the VAF). Probably one of the most frequent results you would get if you were to use the "search" feature is to check your rubber accordian-style intake tubing. Along with other rubber and plastic parts in the engine bay, this tube gets brittle and cracks with time. You may not even be able to see the crack until the engine revs up to, say, 3000 rpms and the torque twists the crack open.

There're a variety of pressurized gases you can spray around all your vacuum hoses (with the engine running) and watch for the rpm's to spike. A spike will indicate a vacuum leak. Propane, and carb-cleaner are two such substances which you can use.

**Use propane AT YOUR OWN RISK**
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Did you check your Distributor Cap & rotor? You might also check the 2 valves Behind the engine near firewall, sometimes they can stick. You can spray some loosenut on them & play. Air intake accordian pipe is usually the problem though. GL
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
Berbz

Post by Berbz »

Well I just recently got new spark plugs, wires, and a cap but i still need to replace the rotor inside but it still seems to do it but i can look into it but i honestly have no idea
Supppp
onebrickshy

Post by onebrickshy »

could it be a clogged fuel filter? I also like the idea that it could be a vacuum leak, a (NOT LIT!) propane torch moved around the engine compartment with the engine running will cause the engine to rev up when the propane is near a vacuum leak. You can even rev the engine to 3000 with the torch spitting propane... but you could just be not getting enough fuel....
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I am also going to say either a vacuum leak or filter issue.
Berbz

Post by Berbz »

well there is a small cable behind the engine that isnt attached anymore and when my car is running it smells like gas alot and was told it smells rich.
Supppp
Berbz

Post by Berbz »

well my car still sputters a bit after 3000 rpms so could it be a bad fuel injector?
Supppp
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well, I am guessing that is because your OBDII and other small things.

Have you timed the car even after you lined up the timing marks? Maybe that is why there is some hesitation there.

We can look at the fuel injectors if needed and even swap em out. Just need DE injectors and rails (I have some IIRC in vernon) so we can check that out too

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”