Projector Lens Longevity?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Projector Lens Longevity?

Post by Tunes67 »

Hey guys, I have been looking at installing a set of the Spyder HID Projectors. Everything I have read about them sounds cool and they seem to be of good quality. So I will spend the $235 on ebay to get a set of the HID ones. My question here is one of lens longevity. Could those of you guys that are running these (or even just the non HID projectors) post up how long you have had them and how much (if any) fogging of the lenses you are seeing. I did do a bit of searching around this forum and got a lot of good info on the projectors, but the lens fogging is really only something that time will reveal if there is a issue with it. Much appreciated :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
wytbishop

Re: Projector Lens Longevity?

Post by wytbishop »

I've had them on for about 3 months now and I haven't had any problem at all. Other people have noted some minor issues that may bring quality control into question so I'd say there's at least a chance that some were made with a less than perfect seal on the lens.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Miguelitto

Post by Miguelitto »

I've had them on for about 6 months now and I haven't had any problem at all.
I'm using Xenon 12K in it......
Never run faster than your angel can fly!........ My angel has NOS
My worklog || Brazil => http://www.mx3zone.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The wires on mine weren't soldered or crimped, they were just joined with heat shrink and they came apart. A real fire issue if I had them connected. Also I've read complaints about the main connector and I've had a problem with it so I recommend you replace it with stock MX3 connector. Apart from that the look and fit is perfect.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thanks guys.. just want to get rid of the dreaded "Yellow Lens" syndrome that the stock lights always end up with. If these lenses are better.. that would be a great bonus not to have to buff the lights 2-3 times a year ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I had wire problems on mine, but a simple rewiring solved that. I've been having alignment issues since installing my mazdaspeed bumper (that has alignment issues as well, TOTALLY did not fit compared to stock, still have more work to go on it) but the headlights have been pointing way too low, and if I adjust them to point at the right height the hood won't close. Front end was never in an accident, so I hafta play with it more when I can take the bumper off. Theyre not amazing quality. They move around a little, and they don't really have the best design as far as function or aesthetics, but they are still better than stock plastic ones. The lens and lights themselves seem to be of decent quality.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Well if you are worried about lense longevity why not out some of the 3m clear plastic over the lense, it will add some strength and prevent oxidation and damage to the lense cover. If you run HIDs then it may be an issue with heat but I personally hate the whole HID trend as its annoying as hell having someone wih them up your tail end on the road or coming straight at you on a highway. I think that the stock projectors cast tons of light needed by the average driver. But to each their own.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

They should last FOREVER.

Because they come in BLACK!

Couldn't resist...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread