1993 MX3 4Cyl ... Pacesetter Exhaust questions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Andy4802
antispam: No

1993 MX3 4Cyl ... Pacesetter Exhaust questions

Post by Andy4802 »

hey all, the exhaust on my 93 MX3 4 cyl is rotted out and i am looking at my replacement options. i found a lightly used pacesetter exhaust for it for 150$ cdn (roughly 125$ US). it was on the guy's car for a year.
i'm wondering if anyone can provide any feedback as to how loud the exhaust is? is it obnoxious? or is it relatively close to stock? i'll be commuting with it for 2-3 hours a day, so i don't want to get annoyed with it after a week.
Also should i expect miles per gallon to go up, down or about the same as stock?

thanks again :)
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: 1993 MX3 4Cyl ... Pacesetter Exhaust questions

Post by umcamara »

The pacesetter cat-back is designed for the 1.8 L V6. It's 2.25" piping, and I believe too large of a diameter for your engine. The flow of the exhaust gas will be slow and sluggish, and this will be reflected in your engine performance.

I wouldn't go any larger than 1.75" - 2.00" inner diameter.

You can have an exhaust shop crush bend and install a setup for you in the few hundred dollar range. Having them mandrel bend a setup would be big $$, and you'd have trouble finding a shop capable of it.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Andy4802

Post by Andy4802 »

yeah i was thinking it was a pretty large diameter exhaust for a 4 cyl... BUT Pacesetter lists it as being made for the 4cyl as well as the 6cyl http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/monza.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

does anyone here have it on the 4 cyl?

i forgot to mention, i'll be using the stock header and will probably ditch the cat.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

It includes the 1.6L in the listing because it will physically fit, the hangers are in the right spots, and the curvature is correct. Other than that, it's too large for this engine. Just don't say you weren't warned.

And actually f you look at that listing, although it does say 1.6L, it says Mx3 Coupe GS.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Andy4802

Post by Andy4802 »

thanks for the feedback.. i decided to go with stock parts, minus the catalytic. My muffler was still good so my mechanic was able to order the rest and weld in a straight pipe where the catalytic was.. supposed to be ready tomorrow!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”