Transmission ECU after 5 speed conversion.

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Silkwyrm

Transmission ECU after 5 speed conversion.

Post by Silkwyrm »

So after the conversion, I'm wonder if most people just pull the Transmission ECU or leave it in. I unplugged it so I no longer get the blinking HOLD light. I'm thinking the only necessary thing effected is the brake lights which I should be able to rewire. Am I missing anything? Is it necessary for anything else?

Thanks,
Silkwyrm
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Transmission ECU after 5 speed conversion.

Post by Ryan »

I believe they are the same physical unit, just auto ECM has 1 extra plug. I think you can just keep the stock ECM. It runs the engine and tranny seperately.

Or just pull the hold bulb :P
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

Well I dont know about the other models but the 93 GS with auto trans had a seperate ECU for the trans. Which I've already disconnected, the car seems to run fine, I was curious about about the electrical connectors going to the seatbelts are those just for the annoying seatbelt warning bell and lights?
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I noticed that too on my '92 4cyl. There is an extra plug just for the auto tranny which I assume controls when the transmission shifts and such (as part of it goes to the throttle body).

I was actually planning to swap the inside wiring harness from a manual mx3, but I don't see why having that disconnected would hurt anything.

Return to “Transmissions”