Mx-3 for racing on 1/3 mile oval

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mzdamx3rsdohc

Re: Mx-3 for racing on 1/3 mile oval

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

im sure sea foaming it wouldnt hurt either to get whatever carbon builups in there out.

as for spring rates you'll have to search that as im not sure. but the gs springs are stiffer then the rs. i remember mine and the horrible body roll before the b/g springs.

some parts you might want to stock up on if you find them cheap:
drivehafts- ive blown at least 1 every year, and i only drive it for 3-4 months in the summer as i work out of province in the winter.

distributor- same thing one a year for 3 years and 1 when i first got the car. hopefully this ones my lucky one with a solid o ring to keep the oil out.

rear strut mounts- only been a issue since i lowered it so may not affect you, but make sure their solid.

other than that ive driven the car for 8 years and been problem free those are really my only issues.

have you done a compression test? im curious to see how strong the motor is. and this will let you know how your valve seals, headgasket are.

also, ive heard that spraying expanding foam in your frame rails strengthens the rigidity quite a bit and doesnt increase weight really. geeze you make me want to do this to mine since im buying another car again this summer so the mx is going to see very little road time again:(
3 years ago probe
2 years ago 2000 chevy fullsize
last year a prelude SH
and this year i want yet another probe but ZE
then next year when im 25 and insurance isnt 610 a month for a mx3, time for the 3rd gen rx7.(hold me to it ppl)
and yet ive kept the mx3 thru it all their great fun reliable cars you shouldnt have any major issues good luck to ya!
and i honestly kicked the crap out of mine for years constant rev limiting and very hard driving, i cant explain how strong these motors are or at least mines been.

where is this track? is it the same size as the oval at mosport?
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

i dont think he can though as they wont even allow an intake. plus its a little costly for some weekend track fun. theyd notice a piggy back, and def. the engine rewiring with gm sensors for megasquirt or standalone...lol...y does it have a gm maf and coil would be their first incline it isnt all originally mazda ...lol

hey, do you live on enfield with like the subaru thats gutted and dented, a purple f-body thats frontends so high it must be a rolling chasis, and a few other cars that i imagine they use for the oval
CircleTrack96
antispam: No

Post by CircleTrack96 »

I live in Courtice during the week. Lately, I've been living in Bethany with my dad during the weekend. My wrench work is done there whenever I find time. The foam is an interesting idea. I'm curious about that. I searched for the miata cam how to, but I couldn't find it. Can you guys point me in the right direction?
Turn left, Zoom-Zoom, Turn left.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

seeing as i was pretty much the first to do the swap like 4 years or so ago. First thing is first, what ever aftermarket cams you buy must match lift and duration on intake and exhaust. other wise the swap will not work. then you have to swap intake cam from miata(or 323) to exhaust cam of MX and vice versa with exhaust. so to time it properly your timing will be 180° out from stock. i used stock gears for ever, but i highly recommend adjustable. Plus depending on the aggression of your cams you may have to notch the adjustment holes on your distributor, to advance the hell out of it. if tuned rite you will notice a difference a power gain

thats what i found after a bit of searching, he was the first guy to do the cam swap i know of. the adjustable cam gears would def. make it easier to time and are cheap but you can do it without them too. there was a step by step write up but it says the topic has broken up or something and can't load, i did do it without the adjustable cam gears but it would be much quicker with, and you'd know you'd have it in time100% but even if mine isnt 100% it still made a world of difference and would for you. it sounds complex but its really not just get in there and do it you'll see the most gains and be the happiest with this mod over all the others.

JOSH- maybe you could do a write-up for the 4cyl faq ?
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Thank you for all your imput guys!
Last edited by CircleTrack96 on June 15th, 2009, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

thats what i mean! i used stock miata cams and it is the best single mod for the mx besides turbo. the stock miata cams made more of a difference than my intake, high flow cat, 2.25" exhaust piping, gutted pre-cat, magnaflow muffler all put together. for stage 1 or stage 2 miata cams you'd need engine management to take full advantage of them due to the fact that peak power is 200-400 rpms before the rev-limiter stage 1 or 2 cams would shift your powerband higher, so your peak hp would be like 6700-7000 and u wouldnt be able to get there due to the limiter. stock miata cams are all you need and you already have them. JOSH is turbo'd with engine management so he can take full advantage of the stage 1 or 2 cams. definatly do the cams, i have no reason to lie and after you do them you WILL NOT REGRET IT. when i pulled the cams out of the miata at doms they were a bit rusty cause the car wasnt run in a while. yours may be too, i just rubbed them with a SOS pad and it took the rust right off, as it wasnt serious or pitted. when you get a ZE its the same thing, because the motor sat your supposed to pull the valve covers check the condition of the cams, etc. theres a write up on probetalk about most ze's having a bit of rust on the cams, and they just use a SOS pad, thats where i got it from. if you go to probetalk.com its stickied in the performance section under what to look for in buying and when you get your ze, or something like that.

and its really not as complex of a job as it sounds, its not like your pulling the head or anything. definatly use the stock miata cams you have, this will be your biggest performance benefit for the things your allowed to do unseen for cheap. and while your in there you can see the condition of your timing belt etc.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

thats what i mean! i used stock miata cams and it is the best single mod for the mx besides turbo. the stock miata cams made more of a difference than my intake, high flow cat, 2.25" exhaust piping, gutted pre-cat, magnaflow muffler all put together. for stage 1 or stage 2 miata cams you'd need engine management to take full advantage of them due to the fact that peak power is 200-400 rpms before the rev-limiter stage 1 or 2 cams would shift your powerband higher, so your peak hp would be like 6700-7000 and u wouldnt be able to get there due to the limiter. stock miata cams are all you need and you already have them. JOSH is turbo'd with engine management so he can take full advantage of the stage 1 or 2 cams. definatly do the cams, i have no reason to lie and after you do them you WILL NOT REGRET IT. when i pulled the cams out of the miata at doms they were a bit rusty cause the car wasnt run in a while. yours may be too, i just rubbed them with a SOS pad and it took the rust right off, as it wasnt serious or pitted. when you get a ZE its the same thing, because the motor sat your supposed to pull the valve covers check the condition of the cams, etc. theres a write up on probetalk about most ze's having a bit of rust on the cams, and they just use a SOS pad, thats where i got it from. if you go to probetalk.com its stickied in the performance section under what to look for in buying and when you get your ze, or something like that.

and its really not as complex of a job as it sounds, its not like your pulling the head or anything. definatly use the stock miata cams you have, this will be your biggest performance benefit for the things your allowed to do unseen for cheap. and while your in there you can see the condition of your timing belt etc.
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

I ran the car in practice today, and it was great. Need to figure out my handling a little better tho.
Last edited by CircleTrack96 on June 15th, 2009, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asimpson719

Post by asimpson719 »

im very intrested to know how you mx3 does on the track and how much hp you get out of the motor without breaking any of those rules

keep us updated
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

I'll be sure to keep you updated :)
Last edited by CircleTrack96 on June 15th, 2009, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
progt91

Post by progt91 »

How is the hyundai elantra allowed to run? they all come with dohc motors, I own one.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Do you have the miata ECM for the B6 varients as apposed to BP? That may be worth a shot, not sure though. VICS points will be wrong for the mani, and the cams... or wait, you're putting in miata cams?

I think the rev limiter may simply be a wire snip, I'll ask my tech and see if he knows. He knows how to do it on the newer models, I'll let you know.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

I don't know about the elantra....lol. They again, when asked last year, "How is it fair to have 16v cars against 8v cars?", the tech guys responded "There are no 16v cars in this class." :? I'm racing tonight... I'll let you know how that goes...
Last edited by CircleTrack96 on June 15th, 2009, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

So update guys... My clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced... first race was last night, and that issue kind of reared it's ugly head. Even with that, I placed forth in both my heats, and 8th in the feature. My goal was to pass the two other rookies and the guy that always comes in last, and I managed that, so I'm happy. Now we need the clutch issue resolved, and more power :lol: I'm thinking I'm going to spend the afternoon putting a miata clutch assembly in... they're interchangeable right?
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Sorry, the clutch assembly is from a 1.8; will it work?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”