K8/KL hybrid possible?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Redline322

K8/KL hybrid possible?

Post by Redline322 »

I was replacing my water pump today and I've noticed a few things that seemed odd to me. My timing belt is stamped KL01, I have a KL01 dipstick, there was a KL02 vaf installed when I bought the car and the timing belt plastics are stamped KL01. The car ran pretty rich with the KL02 vaf to the point that it would start to miss unless at WOT so I swapped that with the JE50 vaf that was in the trunk. I checked my ecu and heads and those are stamped K8, so I was wondering if it's possible that I have the heads and intake mani from a K8 because I know the intake fits KLs and then they used a bottom end from a KL or did they just use a few parts off a KL?
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
projectzemx3

Re: K8/KL hybrid possible?

Post by projectzemx3 »

nope mazda just used the same dipsticks for all k series engines.

lots of k8 parts are stamped kl01, infact i was at the junkyard 2 days ago and i found a mx3 with a k8 engine, but the timing belt cover on the front cylinder bank had a sticker that had japanese writing on it. and in the very bottom of that sticker it read (kl01)

it would be more expensive for mazda to produce a dipstick for the k8 when its the same length as the KL's thats why its stamped kl01. this goes for lots of other k engine parts.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The K8 head would bolt up to the KL block but because of the different displacement the water and oil passages are in slightly different locations.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

It all makes sense except why the person before me used a KL02 vaf in it, or can you get a bit more power at WOT using it?
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Maybe the stock VAF died and he got one from a junkyard mx6/626/probe without knowing it was different.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”