CEL Code 3?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Aaron Sharpe

CEL Code 3?

Post by Aaron Sharpe »

Ok so ever since I bought my 1992 SOHC the CEL has been on, I have had it checked acouple of times and it's a code three. (No G signal) I have searched and not found anything. They said to me you would usaully get a code 1 or 2 before three. And they said if it is doing anything it would be poor performance and gas mileage. I have only been getting 200 to 215 miles on a tank lately, not good for a SOHC. I replaced my O2 sensor, and it helped for about a tank of gas. I got 315 the day i replaced my o2 sensor. What would I have to do to fix a code three (no G signal)?
1.6 sohc, Atlantice Blue Mettalic, lowered 1.6", custom intake, custom 2.5 cat back exhaust, carbon fiber hood, battery relocation, currently running 75 hp shot of ZEX smart nitrous. ZEX blue illuminite purge kit, Custom Fiberglassed Spoiler (Mzdspd Style), MOMO Steering Wheel, black leather racing seats, enkei 17" DM5 wheels, and some other s---.
I want TURBO. I have no money

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2045197
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Have a look here:
http://eunos30x.com/info/CEL%20Codes%20 ... mplete.pdf

Its got step by step procedures to rectify the problem.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

code three says in the manual

G-signal (DOHC and Calfornia B6) location of malunction

Fail safe/ Cancels 2- group (DOHC) or sequential ( California B6) injection

not to sure what that mean could be injecters or something else
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just in case you didnt notice Limegreen.. The online shop manual is for a 95 MX-3.. hence the DOHC.. and his is a 92 SOHC.. the codes can be different (though not always).. and yeah.. I have made that mistake a couple of times myself LOL :oops:

Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Aaron Sharpe

Post by Aaron Sharpe »

So... Since that was for the DOHC and mine is SOHC, is there that much different? I mean there has to be someone that has had this problem that has fixed it...
1.6 sohc, Atlantice Blue Mettalic, lowered 1.6", custom intake, custom 2.5 cat back exhaust, carbon fiber hood, battery relocation, currently running 75 hp shot of ZEX smart nitrous. ZEX blue illuminite purge kit, Custom Fiberglassed Spoiler (Mzdspd Style), MOMO Steering Wheel, black leather racing seats, enkei 17" DM5 wheels, and some other s---.

Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Fuel Injected (Before 95)

1 Ignition Pulse.
2 Distributor - No 2 Signal.
2 No 2 Signal (626 and MX-6).
2 Crank Angle Sensor - No 2 Signal (1992-1995 929, MX-3 1.8L).
3 Distributor - G or G1 Signal.
3 Crank Angle Sensor - G Signal (MX-3 1.8L).
4 Distributor - No #1 Signal or G2 Signal.
4 Crank Angle Sensor - No 1 Signal (MX-3 1.8L).
5 Knock Sensor.
6 Vehicle Speed Sensor.
6 Air Flow Meter (MX-3 1.8L).
7 Knock Sensor - right hand side.
8 Air Flow Meter.
9 Water Thermo Sensor.
10 Intake Air Thermo Sensor - Air Flow Meter.
11 Intake Air Thermo Sensor - Dynamic Chamber.
12 Throttle Sensor.
14 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor.
15 Oxygen Sensor or Heated Oxygen Sensor - left hand side.
16 EGR Position/Function Sensor.
17 Feedback System or Closed Loop System - left hand side.
23 Oxygen Sensor or Heated Oxygen Sensor - right hand side.
24 Feedback System or Closed Loop System - right hand side.
25 Solenoid Valve - Pressure Regulator.
26 Solenoid Valve.
27 Solenoid Valve.
28 Solenoid Valve - EGR Vacuum side.
29 Solenoid Valve - EGR Vent side.
30 Cold Start Injector Relay.
34 IAC Valve.
36 Heated Oxygen Sensor - right hand side.
37 Heated Oxygen Sensor - left hand side.
40 Solenoid Valve - Triple Induction Control System & 02S Replay.
40 Solenoid Valve - Variable Resonance Induction System Solenoid Valve - VRIS 1.
42 Wastegate Solenoid Valve.
46 Solenoid Valve - VRIS 2.
65 A/C Signal - PCMT.
67 Coolant Fan Relay No. 1.
69 ECT Sensor.

Reset ur ECU (disconnect battery for a couple of minutes. Negative side), hold brake for a bit in that time.

If the code comes back try, replacing ur cap and rotor (cheap).

But I'm sure somebody else knows for sure.......................

good luck :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Aaron Sharpe

Post by Aaron Sharpe »

Ok just for giggles i checked it again, definalty code 3, which is no g signal. But what is that, I've heard it's inside the disturbutor and can affect performance and mileage, well it is affecting those both. I just want to know how to fix it, new dizzy, cap and rotor, maybe some wires are bare and need coverd? I dunno. Help me out. Its a SOHC so i dont know if the PDF Grants sent me will work.

jmbabineau
antispam: No

Re: CEL Code 3?

Post by jmbabineau »

I am just wondering if anyone has anymore info on this problem. i just sold my 5.9 v8 Dodge Ram and now im back into my old mx-3 1.6 sohc.

After sitting for a year, the thing fired right up. However, i am still getting a CEL code 3.

i changed the distributor just last year and replaced the cap and rotor yesterday.

Any solutions??? thanks !
Redline322

Re: CEL Code 3?

Post by Redline322 »

Try following the wires on the distributor and seeing if there's any bare wire and also clean the grounds, they can cause alot of problems with these cars. There's one that bolts to a small bracket on the trans that can cause alot of trouble, the easiest way to fix that one is to bolt it directly to the trans without the bracket. Check your coil wire too, it's possible a weak spark could trigger it as well. Just spray the wire at night and if you see sparks or the car starts to sputter, you need new wires.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”