What can i do to my 93 MX-3 GS SE(CS)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
barefootmx-3

What can i do to my 93 MX-3 GS SE(CS)

Post by barefootmx-3 »

I have a 93 GS SE i believe i got it not to long ago and i want to mod my 1.8L engine but every import or performance place laughs when i tell them my engine size. what can i do to up my cars performance on a reasonable budget?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: What can i do to my 93 MX-3 GS SE(CS)

Post by mitmaks »

Start with KL-ZE swap or do headers, intake, etc, parts that you can later swap onto your klze
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Hi, I have 94 gs 5 speed and am thinking along the same lines as you. I believe the best way to more horses is to upgarde to a larger V-6. There are basically 2 other bolt in mazda motors a 160 hp or the famous (or infamous) 200 hp KLZE japanese motor. I m in Canada and an KLZE lower mileage japanese motor will run about $800 USD and a good install about 400-500 usd. There are additional costs to do a good job and get the full 200 ponys. You will have to invest in a millenea intake manifold ( maybe 50 to a couple hundred bucks) and you should probably put a new water pump,belts ect...

You should also pay close attention when buying your KLZE engine and make sure you have the proper head & camshart codes.If your really on a tight budget you can probably score a 160 horse engine cheap in your area, since everybody wants the 200 hp engine lol.

Unless you have an amazing mazda master mechanic that happens to be an MX-3 nut I would suggest that you study the forums here carefully because there are a number of technical problems to these engine swaps that should be adressed ahead of time ie; which sensors to use (you need a special VAF sensor), you need to use some of the 1.8 sensors (crank). there may also be issues with CPU relative to VRIS.

I m personally thinking of putting a klze in my car this summer, for the extra few bucks it will raise the value of my ride even more. If I can get well organized I might even try to do the swap myself, I ve got a decent Mazda mechanic if I get stuck. I ll get my car out for may 1st (its getting a fresh coat of black right now) and then I ll really start motor & part hunting, I know i shudda done engine swap before new paint job... fender guards on mass

I d be happy to let let you know what I find out, i m new on this site but have been driving/fixing mx-3 for about 5 years. Add me to your friend list if you wanna swap ideas

Reagrds
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

I did notice a company somewere selling headers for the mx-3, 1.8 but cant remember the name of them. I d ask the guys in this forum for header advice, they should know what is best. You might even get some if you try the item wanted forum.

I dont believe headers alone will make all that much difference for you. good luck :)

Someone metioned E-Bay for headers
Last edited by Daveb on April 13th, 2009, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

Daveb wrote:
Unless you have an amazing mazda master mechanic that happens to be an MX-3 nut I would suggest that you study the forums here carefully because there are a number of technical problems to these engine swaps that should be adressed ahead of time ie; which sensors to use (you need a special VAF sensor), you need to use some of the 1.8 sensors (crank). there may also be issues with CPU relative to VRIS.

u do not use a different vaf... you keep the stock JE50 and use that in combo with a kl-31/36 ecu.

you dont use the 1.8 crank sensor they are like all the same (although some us spec have 2 wire crank sensor)

it is the K8 coolant sensor that usually needs to be swapped as the pre 95 have 3 coolant sensors and most klze come with only 2.

if your using stock exhaust logs the front one needs to be changed out at the bolt pattern is different on the KL vs. the K8.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

so my 94 5 speed sb the same. I ditch my k834 cpu & buy kl31/36. use crank sensor, cooling neck(sensors) & front exhaust manifold for the 2.5 KLZE car. Also need millanea Intake & too figure out how to set up stock air box.also need to cap 1 vacuum on intake.

would u know wat car the kl31/36 cpu comes out of? I ve got about 20 mx-3 in my area scrap to pick from.

PS and hopefully my fan wont run all the time :lol:
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

You can only get a kl31/36 ecu from japan, they're pretty pricey from what I've heard. And you'll also have to wire in that 2nd coolant sensor.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Thats why im chasing a 96 gs 5 speed, I think the OBD II system will defeat all the cpu problems with the earlier models. My mazda guy says there much easier to work with & you can do all kinds of cool stuff. I bet that japanese computer from mazda is 2 k!

So the rest is right then, i m currently looking at a klze. Someone also mention that the motor guys will sell u the corect cpu. :?:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”