it wont fire after a k8 to kl swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
GhostRecon

it wont fire after a k8 to kl swap

Post by GhostRecon »

Hello iI ve just finish a swap no fire to the plugs plenty of gas. I am have a trouble with the vacuum lines maybe a vacuum sensor that is stoping it. I did not do the HEI conversion yet do I need to do it for it to start ?? The the small plug to the distributor the red ignition coil- has fire the other 2 dose not and my crank sensor dose not have any fire comeing to it. Maybe a wire broke some were or the PCM it F@@K>. I am going back to work on it to day I hope someone can help me THANK YOU
Daveb

Re: it wont fire after a k8 to kl swap

Post by Daveb »

Maybe im the only 1 who has ever had coil/distributor problems with the 1.8. If you have power going into the distributor and no fire at the plugs I would suggest doing your hei conversion before messing around with other things.You could always try another distributor if you have 1 handy.

I have found the leaving the key in the ON position when the motor is not running is a definate no-no. The old colts were notorious for burning coils under these conditions.

I had a compression test last year that turned into a big expense when my friendly neighborhood mechanic did just that. It is also not easy to diagnose a faulty coil/Distributor problem if you are running the obd I system (95 and older mx3 s)

good luck

I m planning a KLZE upgrade this year, so let me know how it turns out for you :)
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well did your K8 disty work on the K8 before the sawp? I would stray far away from doing an HEI mod, as it will just add to the headaches of finding the problem with your car now. If you wanna do the HEI mod wait til you get your car running.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

i have a similar probelm, i get spark 1 time in the on position and not in the crank position. i only get spark when i first put it in on position and then when i take it out. but never in crank./......
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Yes he s definately right, get your stock system going before trying upgarde. Do you have an electrical problem, check your fuses, grounds and wiring).

good luck
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Daveb wrote:Maybe im the only 1 who has ever had coil/distributor problems with the 1.8.
The coil/disty problem is on all V6 Mx-3's, it's not a problem associated with a KL swap, it's a problem associated with age and milleage. Most just swap to a KL anyway when the milleage gets high, but K8 or KL, you'll need an HEI/External Coil mod eventually.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Make sure you're using the dizzy which came with the car, not the one from the KL. That's what stopped mine starting first time.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

marcdh wrote:Make sure you're using the dizzy which came with the car, not the one from the KL. That's what stopped mine starting first time.
Good one. Additionally, remove the neg from the battery post and hold the brake pedal down for 15 sec. When I had trouble keeping mine running if it stalled I had to clear the ECU or it wouldn't start. Not sure why.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

marcdh wrote:Make sure you're using the dizzy which came with the car, not the one from the KL. That's what stopped mine starting first time.
Exactly. If you have a 1993 MX3 and went and got a 1995 probe or MX6 engine and used the disty from that - there's your problem right there. Use your old disty.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”