Super Noobie Questions Exhaust/Engine Noise

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jroc251

Super Noobie Questions Exhaust/Engine Noise

Post by jroc251 »

I hope this post doesn't lower the collective bar on tech inquiries and thanks for reading.

I just bought a 93 MX-3 GS, blaze red with the stock 1.8 V6 and stock exhaust. Exterior and undercarriage are in fair condition (interior beautiful) and I am not a racing kind of guy. I just bought it as a neat, inexpensive car for getting around because I was tired of driving little bland four bangers. This is the first car I have owned with any kind of performance so pardon my ignorance.

While old, the exhaust appears intact and functioning well and it passed emissions testing, but it seems awfully loud. Is this just a characteristic of the GS? Online videos of guys driving/cruising the GS seem comparable in terms of noise and automotive.com does call this thing a "little screamer." Do they all just naturally have that "GRUUMMMM!!!" sound? lol or would I benefit from having a new muffler installed?

Thanks and glad to count myself among your readership. This little hot-rod is a blast to drive.
'93 MX-3 GS: Blaze Red stock 5-speed 1.8 V6, all power options, sunroof, 15" 3 Spoke Alloy Wheels
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Super Noobie Questions Exhaust/Engine Noise

Post by Daninski »

If you think it's too frickin loud, your too frickin old! :lol:

Oh ya welcome to the site. :D The stock exhaust has a little growl to it, nice eh.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Someone probably put an aftermarket exhaust on. Check to see if you have a cat. converter, and resonator and what your muffler/tailpipes look like. Stock should be a twin pipe w/ I think 1.5 or 2in holes. If its not this, then you may have a fart cannon. You can get a new muffler put on for cheap. If it's not loud out the back, but from under the car, you may have an exhaust leak. Also if there is a cone filer in place of the stock airbox it will make the engine a bit louder, but we all seem to think that makes it sound better.

K series engines should "scream" in the upper RPMS, but a well tuned exhaust not should not be too loud when driving normally...at least in my eyes. Stock should be fairly quiet.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

yea! you have come to the best website for mx3's.

check out the v6 FAQ for almost all your mx3 needs
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”