check engine + probinator?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Re: check engine + probinator?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Lol, no, the specific requirement for a JE50 VAF, you should be able to use any VAF you wish, is my understanding. This ii especially for the Probe/mx-6 owners, ounlike us, since they don't get the Je50 stock
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

^ X2

With the chip you should be able to use either. I think that your issue is that the ECU is not compatible with your wiring. Get a k834 ecu and email ryan asking if it can be chipped and that should fix the issue
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

haha ok thanks guys...i agree i think i need a k834...70 bucks...i guess its worth a try...hope i didnt mess anything up driving it like that...i was gettin 2 mpg haha (not really funny =[ i wanna die haha) theres like gas in my oil! s---...ill let you know how it turns out
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

Mines doing the same thing. ive had the techs at work try to pull codes and nothing comes up, and thats with a real code puller. i was running the JE50 VAF and then decided to be crazy about a week ago and see if the KL02 VAF would kill off whats making me run really rich. turns out, it did fix the problem and i gained a substantial amount of fuel mileage out of that. i would too like to know why that damn light wont go off, but have since gotten used to that thing never shutting off...
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

well...i do believe ive found the root of the problem...my car was made in september of 1992...and is considered a 93 by my title...but regardless i think i have the wrong ecu in there...the k834 has been ordered so ill let you know what happens with that...now how bout this for a question...you think i can unsolder the Probinator chip out of my ecu i have now and resolder it into the k834?
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Wtf man, I think you got it backwards. The k834 ecu is ONLY for the 1994 mx3. You say your car is made late 92? That means the car is a 93.. You have the right ecu then, I'm guessing your VAF or ur ecu is toast. Don't give us contradicting info, what style dash do u have, take a pic of the car specs on the inside of the door jam and post it up.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

are you using 91 octane or higher? i got a check engine light when i put my chipped ecu in, i didnt know to use higher octane.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

sorry for the mixup man...but yea i was thinkin since my car has the 92-93 ecu and the KLZE doesnt work with those ecus right? so cant i get a 94 ecu and plug it in?

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I am still confused.. What year car do you have?!?

If you have a 92-93 car, use a kl31/36 ecu or a chipped k801/KL01

If you have a 94 mx3 (made late 93, early 94) used a chipped k834.

If you are getting a k834, make sure it CAN be chipped first as most of them cannot be chipped!
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

it says 09/92 on the door jam...but i see now...i was confused too :? yea i think i got the wrong ecu then...im all futzed up man i suck...

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You have a 93 mx then. Do you have this style dash:

http://www.mx-3.com/interior/dash92-93-01.jpg

or this style:

http://www.mx-3.com/interior/dash94-98-01.jpg

The first one is a 92-93 dash. If that is the case then maybe your k8 ecu is messed or there is another issue with the car.

Check all your grounds and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Maybe try another JE50 VAF.
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

yea i have the first style dash...so a 93...so you think it could still be my ecu? i dont know what else could even make my car run so rich and my check engine is just stayin on...so i dont know anymore...arent new vafs kinda costly?

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

There is nothing to be worried about, the 92-93 cars are alot easier to work on and parts are all over the place. T

There is definitely a issue somewhere in regards to fuel/spark/wiring. This is what I am thinking:

1. ECU
2. VAF
3. Timing
4. Spark issues

Check your timing to make sure it is correct.

Also, check to see if your disty is giving out proper spark, if you test it then you should see a nice blue spark, not a shatty yellow one.

Check the condition of your plugs and follow this guide, this may help in determining a issue:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html

If you need a new VAF and ECU PM me. I have a chippable k801 and a VAF if you need to buy them.
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

ive checked my timing and have it running the best i can...and my spark plugs were brand new...i took them out the other day and theyre black and smell like gas...and i have check my sparks with a spark tester and am getting really good spark...there is a sensor of some sort on the transmission thats kinda broken(i have a picture but i dont know how to post it in the forum)...i dont know how that would effect my gas but could be the reason for my CEL? i dont know...its prolly my VAF or ECU...im guessing theres no way to figuring out it your VAF or ECU are good huh :? of course not...this sucks...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”