upgrading turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
kab-rst

upgrading turbo

Post by kab-rst »

my winter beater caught on fire and i'm gonna have some spare money to rebuild the mx-3 for this spring

i'm curently running a stock internal bpt,garrett t3 and 2.5'' piping EVERYWHERE

i could get a t3t4 for roughly 500$-700$ but since the car is a dailydriver on it's way to become a dragbitch ,i'm afraid to go to a too big t3t4 that could ruin the daily drive experience,the lag was acceptable on the t3,but wasent enough for the drag. at the same time, i dont want to loose some precious sec on the track because it's too small,see the dilema.

so i contacted the staff guy at Blaast in ON, he told me all the benefit of the gt2871 and it's possibility,and told me that if i wanted to go biger even the gt3071 could do something great,since it's BB,,ok, it's twice the price but the insurance check will cover the fees since i allready got another beater.
will the gt30 be too big for my small 1.8 displacement?, even if it's ballbearing, i may see too big
i'm planning to run 20-25 psi once i install my gtr conecting rod

so it bring me to my second question, if i go for a gt28-gt30, is it better to keep my 2.5'' exaust, or it would be wiser to run 3''? i allready got the 2.5 mandrel everything not even 2years old, it might be money-wise to stay on 2.5

PLEASE forgive the typos, i'm trying big time, but i'm not english yet
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
u have the Zoom Zoom feeling?
JWMotorsports

Re: upgrading turbo

Post by JWMotorsports »

Well...I've been successfully runnint a GT-3076R with a .82 A/R turbine housing on my car's lil 1.6L B6T. With the correct tuning it will actually be more driveable then with a little turbo. It is tame, yet still torquie, under 4500rpm and is NUTs from 5000-8000rpm. You can keep your existing exhaust and run a large external waste gate that dumps to atmosphere...and/or a boost sensing or electric cut out close to the turbo, allowing you to by pass the little exhaust you currently have (use a 3" downpipe either way).

I HIGHLY recommend you look at the http://www.forcedperformace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and check out their HTA series...they spool faster and make more power than the plain Jane GT-R series while supporting 40+psi. :freak:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

went with a customisez t3t4 from BLAAST performance.

just finished installing it,minor problem with the oil line, but runs like a charm, i'm waiting to get my MS tuned before boosting :crying: :crying:

96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
mazdax3speed

Post by mazdax3speed »

look into borgwarner turbos, most big honda guys are switching over, they're journal bearings (so you don't have to run water lines, and its a little tougher) but they spool faster than garrett GT series. goto full-race's website, they have some test up
Orange 95' BPT GT28r, MSII on the way
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

mazdax3speed wrote:look into borgwarner turbos, most big honda guys are switching over, they're journal bearings (so you don't have to run water lines, and its a little tougher) but they spool faster than garrett GT series. goto full-race's website, they have some test up
too late.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

indeed

tuned to 20 psi, it's jsut ripping asphalt and winter tires

too busy to write,still zoom zooming

p.s: god! it torques like there is no tomorow
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114

Return to “Forced Induction”