Coolant Not Circulating...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

Coolant Not Circulating...

Post by Gods Father »

topic pretty much says it all...my coolant isnt circulating through the radiator and the engine is overheating...original problem was that the fan wasnt coming on...so i thought thats why it was overheating so i tried a few things and ended up just wiring in my own switch figuring it was just something in my fans wiring that was making it not work...but it continued overheating...so then i thought it might be the thermostat so i replaced that and guess what...its still overheating...ive read about the water pump and it seems like if its the water pump it would be leaking coolant but that doesnt seem to be the case...any suggestions?
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
colinf004

Re: Coolant Not Circulating...

Post by colinf004 »

the water pumps could possibly be siezed.... try turning it... or could be a pinch in a rad hose or other hoses... could even be a gunk build up somewhere in your hoses
don't forget to check your oil too .. see if it is normal, you never know.. headgaskets.....
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

That depends on how the waterpump has failed. Mine was leaking too. I remember Franko (mind you, he's got a 4cyl) showed a pic of his waterpump and there was almost nothing left of the impeller. Could have a it being clogged somewhere too, like in the rad
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
davmac

Post by davmac »

If your water pump seized you'd have other problems - timing belt would snap. How old is your radiator? If your radiator is old there could easily be some blockage that is causing the overheating. I don't think it likely that the water pump vanes have disintegrated, but if it is ancient then the impeller might have broken loose from the shaft. If it were me and the radiator is suspect (old, dirty or cooling fins corroded) then I'd replace it since I think it will fix the problem, would need to be replaced anyway and is easy and relatively inexpensive to replace.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Check your radiator. If not that, it's your water pump. Check the radiator first.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

davmac wrote:If your water pump seized you'd have other problems - timing belt would snap.

Hate to be a jerk, but that is an incorrect hypothesis. If his pump were seized, his accessory belt would snap, after it smelled bad for awhile. Timing belt in this car is dedicated.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ryan wrote: Hate to be a jerk, but that is an incorrect hypothesis. If his pump were seized, his accessory belt would snap, after it smelled bad for awhile. Timing belt in this car is dedicated.
Ryan you have it all wrong. You should aspire to be a jerk. Women expect that of us. :lol:
Later,,,Jerk :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Change your thermostat ----- End of topic
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The thermostat wouldn't prevent the coolant from circulating, it could just cause it to overheat or hot get to the proper running temperature...depending on how it failed.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

if its stuck close it will. so why not at least check it. Chances are thats the problem if its not circulating.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed you are right, x2....thermostat is a cheap part, why not give it a shot...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

He said he's already replaced the thermostat.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

- how many miles?

- Clogged radiator maybe

- Clogged lines

- Bad water pump (or just check the belt & belt tensioner to make sure the belt is doing its job)

- Check your fuses/relays

Just some suggestions to try.... Maybe they could help.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

so i just took out the thermostat and ran it and coolants circulating and engines running fine not overheating or anything...what thermostat should i buy if i buy one cause i bought one for a probe gt and it seems that wasnt happening so i dont know i think im just gonna leave it out...no worries right?
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Lots of guys in really hot climates just remove the thermostat. Its no problem, just, don't do in anywhere sub zero, because it will take FOREVER to get to a nice operating temperature.

Keep in mind, it still may take longer and because of that, your ECU will dump fuel for longer than It usually would. (ECU dumps more fuel at cold than at op temp)
Last edited by Ryan on February 12th, 2009, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”