Internal engine interchange.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
neli_nael

Re: Internal engine interchange.

Post by neli_nael »

veltpak6 wrote:alright! found out some info

it looks like the mains are the same, 62mm

What I want to do now is stroke a K8 with a KL crank and rods (piston pins are 1mm smaller on K8 pistons)..why? I dont know... i think it would be interesting to have a near-square K-block... 75mm bore x 74.2mm stroke with 1.85rod ratio... it would displace 2.0L (square bore stroke unlike the KF) if it were NA and all left the same, I'd estimate it would make about 150hp 148ft/lbs... with all the K8 ancillary stock things left alone.

Then I'd like to take a K8 crank and aftermarket Honda rods (48mm) and put it in a KLZE with KLDE pistons... this yeilds a super oversquare 84.5mm bore x 69,6mm stroke with a high 2.01 rod ratio....it would displace 2.3L. The reduced stroke reduces the Compression Ratio lower than 9,2, probably about 8,8 if IIRC and even with stock DE pistons, would boost quite nicely..
The dynamics of this geometry would lend itself to a torque peak pushed up a few thousand RPM, combined with a higher rod ratio would increase combustion efficiency by prolonging piston dwell. I'd imagine for peak HP numbers, this engine would shine. How would it differ from a boosted KL? well the reduced stroke would reduce the torque peak figure from a crankthrow perspective, psi for psi, but carry the torque peak higher in the RPM band, allowing a higher HP number, psi fo psi over a KL. This is aside from the increased combustion efficiency and longer peak cylinder pressures acheived by the 2.01 rod ratio, which oculd very well compensate for the reduced stroke's peak torque #.

I dream about this stuff, I can hear these engines in my head! lol
interestin, do it!!!
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mrspanky79 has put in KL rods in his boosted K8, and i believe he suggested against doing it because of the work involved. I'd search his threads for that information first.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
veltpak6

Post by veltpak6 »

ah yeah, I've been searching high and low for his posts... only found ones where hes talking about boosting it, and then one where he was about to stroke it :lol: ... never found the thread of his build.

What exactly went wrong? I know that the piston pins are 1mm smaller on K8 pistons and thus the KL rods would need to be bushed... other than that i cant imagine what else would pop up, do you remember??
BOH!
caruscar

Post by caruscar »

I have a K8 I want to rebuild dont mind spending the money really want to keep the same motor in the car onginal one at least for ssn# reasons. It will be worth more in the furture you know. But I really have two K8's one which is the orginal and the other that is extra one I have. I would like to put the extra one in the car but before wih more HP please help With what parts and combo's I should tell my machine shop built my motor with. I read some of the ideas but would like a nice out K8 just for fun and not cheat with a Klze really do something that not really common.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I doubt that the Mx-3 will be worth something in the near future, and that attempt to keep it original will be futile...but you never know... :shrug:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mrspanky79 wrote:kiwi_MX3 sorry to say but your wrong in your numbers some where. Im looking out the window and in my drive way theres an mx3 with kl rods and crank in a k8 that runs with no problems. But like stated i would not sugest doing. I only did it becouse i had all the parts lieing around (free) and an uncle that works at a plane plants so all the machening cost me a botle of rum. The big isue is the different pin sizes and getting the rod in the block, rod base is larger then the block bore.
mrspanky79 wrote:the pins are different sizes so you have to put bussings in the rods. next the rods dont fit in the bore so I groved the bottom of the bore so you so can put the rods up from the bottom and mechined the piston to hold ring clamps (making them free floating) then assamble the piston onto the roo from the top. As for feel not to sure what it would be on its own my motor is also turbo'd
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
veltpak6

Post by veltpak6 »

thank you for that link! awesome info in there

lol the big end is bigger than the bore, haha i never saw that coming!! only on the worlds smallest passenger v6 eh?

nice clean solution he came up with though, and you end up with floating pins too!
BOH!
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

would there be any gains in hp/tq to use klde cams in a k8? I havea spare set lying around and i was wondering what you guy know about it?
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

caruscar wrote:I have a K8 I want to rebuild dont mind spending the money really want to keep the same motor in the car onginal one at least for ssn# reasons. It will be worth more in the furture you know.
If thats the case pull the original engine and set it aside and put a KLZE in it! :shrug:
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”