Just installed my KLZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ManoWar

Just installed my KLZE

Post by ManoWar »

I just got my klze installed yesterday and i am still running in some problems.
1. Its a straight neck and the klze TB doesn't fit since it hits the brake cylinder. What TB should i use, since mine is fuxed up (forgot the name of the part on the TB that regulates the idle when engine is cold)
2. I am running rich, mechanic says i need to change my MAF but i think it might also be from the TB.
3. I am using my stock ECU, where could i find some KLZE ecu's and which one should i put.
4. When i am around 80km/h (approx 50mph) in fifth or even fourth, the car shakes. It feels like the whole front end shakes. Axles? or Engine Mounts?
5. What axles should i be getting. I nearly snapped mine at the first right turn.
6. Any other suggestions?

PS: I am running GS transmission.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Just installed my KLZE

Post by Daninski »

The straight neck has an interference issue for sure. If it didn't fit how did you get it to fit? What year is your car? The 92 ECU's can't be chipped so it's get a newer one or go for a ZE ECU. Could you of knocked a balance weight off one of your front wheels to cause the shaking?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

The mech ended up doing two things. He slanted the engine forward a bit and installed the stock TB since it was the only one that could fit.
I might of knocked a weight of the wheel, but then wouldn't the wheel shake all the time at certain speeds?
Mine only shakes under heavy acceleration in 4th or 5th from about 80km/h (50mph) onwards.
What MAF/VAF would fit my car?
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

ManoWar wrote:The mech ended up doing two things. He slanted the engine forward a bit and installed the stock TB since it was the only one that could fit.
I might of knocked a weight of the wheel, but then wouldn't the wheel shake all the time at certain speeds?
Mine only shakes under heavy acceleration in 4th or 5th from about 80km/h (50mph) onwards.
What MAF/VAF would fit my car?
he installed the K8 tb on the klze?

did you guys use washers or something to raise the rear motor mount? thats a good idea!
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Please do tell. If there is a way I can use this straight neck, that would be awesome. It would suck to use the K8 TB though cause of restriction in air flow.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

the running rich is probley because of the stock ecu, mine got better when it was chipped but not perfect...
Im running the K8 throttle body on my straight neck, but please let me know how he did the ZE TB, i realllllllllly want to know lol
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

the mechanic raised the rear engine mount as far as i know, i will ask him when i see him tomorow. Also he put in the ZE throttle body and it fit.
Last edited by ManoWar on February 3rd, 2009, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Ok so after driving the car for a day here is my report.

Engine was running rich, so early on i got a mx6 MAF. The running rich problem was fixed. Afterwards while driving the car started to stutter with the occasional backfire....after 5 more minutes of driving the car worsened to the point that i couldn't move anymore, basically the car became undriveable.(I had the same symptoms on my old engine as well).
Before i thought it was the spark plug wires or disty, now both are changed and a new disty and spark plug wires are in. I noticed that cylinder 6 was not working so i checked the fuel rail connector, low and behold i ended up with the grey wire(the one controlling that cylinder) in my hand. The thing was not making contact right. I managed to kinda solder it back together (more like i butchered the connector) and now it seems that all cylinders are running but the car is backfiring.(again its an old problem on my car)
So i finally got a chiped probe GT ecu and i've put that in. The problem still exists.
If i start the car up it idles fine (not really sometimes it might idle rough)
If i press the accelerator the car feels like its dead. Kinda like its dying on me and if i keep the accelerator to the floor it actually will.
I barely got home and noticed that once i was up to speed (something that prooved almost impossible at times) the engine managed to keep its speed.

Again this is a problem that i had prior to the swap.
Here is what i have done since the problem first occured.
Changed engine.
Changed TB with TPS sensor etc...
Changed MAF with Mx6/626 (KL02)
Chaged ecu with Probe GT 93 chipped ECU (chipped for KLZE)
Changed fuel rails (minus connector)
Changed spark wires
Changed Distributor

I also checked the old ECU (Stock K8) for CEL's and none showed up.
What could it be?
I started thinking into the stratosphere about this.
Could it be faulty negative (doubt it since engine was changed and all contact points cleaned)
Could it be that even though i butchered the fuel rail connector back together i still don't have proper contact.
Maybe a short somewhere?

Anyway i am taking it back to the mech to have a look at it tommorow, but if anything comes to mind, let me know.

PS: I should mention that i was playing with the TPS earlier in the day. Reason being is that my idle screw is completly turned in yet my idle was still only 900 or so.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

it may sounds simple, but are you sure you got the firing order correct?? all spark plugs are in good shape?
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
maryus

Post by maryus »

You have to make sure that :

- Ignition Timing is ok (wires and all that)
- Gas line ok
- Intake ok as well
- TPS ok (very tricky one)
- ECU ok (If you have a straight neck I am not sure it works with stock k8 , give it a try)
- Fuel Pressure Regulator ok

- Check all the little wires/tubes that goes around the intake.

I tried a lot of experiments with my ex-KLZE , i put the stock k8 ecu, with the probinator chip, but i damaged it.. i think)
-in consequence it was shaking badly and i was loosing throttle... but i dont think is your case.. just a guess.

My ex-KFZE did similar to yours, i was asking for help on this forum..
-The engine was shaking, kind of backfiring , and loosing power , and my cell was on. After i disconnected that system next to the throttle body it seemed to be fine... I forgot the name , it;s related to the gases that reburn , not PCV really ...

Lots of problems you can have with this mods lol :)

GOOD luck.
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

If you will... & if anyone else that is using a straight neck, tell me exactly what you've done. Just put the K8 Throttle Body on and it will fit just fine? - Would I need to put like a few washers of some sort on the back motor mount to kinda lean it forward just a tad? - What do you guys think I should do? - I'm about to put my ZE in and If I can use the straight neck, that'd be awesome. Then all I would need to do is get my ecu chipped.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

there are some pics in my work, the throttle body is a k8 one. fit just fine, with some modding...
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Okay... I just got done reading your worklog. I read in there someone talking about using a MX-6 brake resivor or something because it's smaller??? - I have one if that will help me, where I don't have to grind anything. I thought there would be more grinding then that, but if there isn't... I can do that. I wonder if I could just keep the ze throttle body on it and maybe try to raise the back just a tad bit to see if it will fit.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

SmoothMX3 wrote:Okay... I just got done reading your worklog. I read in there someone talking about using a MX-6 brake resivor or something because it's smaller??? - I have one if that will help me, where I don't have to grind anything. I thought there would be more grinding then that, but if there isn't... I can do that. I wonder if I could just keep the ze throttle body on it and maybe try to raise the back just a tad bit to see if it will fit.
you use a mx6 brake booster mated with a mx3 master cylinder. its not as easy as it sounds tho ;) yeah the k8 tb was a bad idea im glad your using the ze one much better choice.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Not as easy as it sounds... hmm.. screw this dude. I'm just gonna have to buy a damn curved neck. lmao
this is too much bs and drama over a damn manny.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”