Bought new soundsystem, have a bunch of questions!

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
95Mx3GS

Bought new soundsystem, have a bunch of questions!

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Hey guys, recently I went out and bought 2 12" Kicker Subs (Like another user on this forum I saw), 4 Kicker 5250 speakers, a Kicker amplifier and a top o the line Pioneer p600ub deck. I got a hefty discount since my friend works at the store and I am getting it installed in about a week from now, since I don't want to risk doing it myself.

My questions are:

1. I heard something about 3 holes in the stock speaker mount , but the ones I have are 4? Is this true, and if it is, what are my possible solutions?

2. Is my car battery going to die from all the extra power? Will I have to replace my alternator, as the amp is only 300.1 and some people even run this same setup on 200 or 250 so should I be fine? I got a new alternator recently but it is still a regular, not a high power one

3. Will the deck fit in all the way? I heard problems about that too

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks guys!
Mad Cow

Re: Bought new soundsystem, have a bunch of questions!

Post by Mad Cow »

The stock speakers have 3 mounting holes, some speakers fit, mine came with speakers that fit perfectly. But if you buy speakers with 4 holes you have a few choices, you can drill out the door panel for the 4 holes, you can buy an adaptor, or you can make an adaptor. I bought some new 4 hole speakers and made adaptors out of acrylic plastic(like plexiglass but cheaper). Crutchfield sell adaptors, but I'm not sure if they're the right ones.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
95Mx3GS

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Thanks, but would drilling some holes in cause any damage, or other consequences later down the road?

Also, can you help me with my other questions?
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

drilling holes into the door panel won't have any consequences down the road. what i did for my front speakers was spin them till i found a way that worked, if your speakers have only 4 holes and nothing else (mine had a bunch) then drilling a hold into the inner door panel would be the best bet.
if you were talking about the rear speakers, then drilling a hole into the speakers wouldn't hurt either, just make sure it's on the mounting lip of the speaker, if you screw up and drilling something else you may damage the speaker, but if it's just on the lip you'll be ok.

so i just googled your deck and realized you have the exact same one i have, so with that said.
no, your deck will not fit in all the way because there is a plastic support bracket in the way, or blower fan duct thing (dun remember which, anyways!) no it will not fit in all the way.
BUT it look be perfectly flush with your facing (if you have a 94+ mx-3) i can take pictures if you want, i'm too lazy right now to go outside and take pictures =P
i guess it does go in all the way, mine just didn't click in, but it looks perfect, so i don't care, just hope no one breaks in my car, or it'll be easy for him to take.

as for your alternator question i have no idea, my lights dim when i push the brake (could be because of an old battery i'm milking XD) and my system is weaker than yours (i assume, what kind of amp are you getting for your subs? i have only a 200w JL amp and a single 12" rockford fosgate)

hope this helps
95Mx3GS

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Thanks a lot! that post really helped the speaker hole problems... now I was wondering about the deck? If it is possible to get a picture or two of how it looks in your car in the next few weeks, then that will would be great. If not, it is no problem. And was your deck stuck, or does it just not go in at all?

Also, I hope my electrical will be fine since my system is a bit more consuming then yours.....
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

yeah i can get some pictures of it tmr, i'll try to take some pictures of how it looks from the back too (the thing blocking it, if i can)
no my deck is not stuck at all, it goes in just fine, looks great, also comes out just as easy as putting it in, so if a thief decides to take my deck he'll be in and out quick =P
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

You can really roughly see where the deck hits the fan duct

the other picture you requested

and one that i thought that looked neat =P (you can also kinda see where i cut to get the USB connector through...and my bright red lip chap)
95Mx3GS

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Whoa thanks a lot! Those pictures really helped :)

It looks pretty good, I can't wait to get it installed...... and the best part is I have that same lip chap and that is exactly where I was planning on putting my USB cable ... hah

Now all I have to do is hope that my battery won't die....

But anyways, thanks for your help!
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

np, your battery won't die right away, but if you notice it takes a little more effort to start each time, you know what the problem is
95Mx3GS

Post by 95Mx3GS »

And if it does start slower each time I start the car, and I start seeing signs that the battery is getting weaker.... what should I do? I have a new regular style alternator so I don't feel like buying another one, what would my options be?

And by the way, do you like the deck?
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Just get a good, quality battery. Don't get a new alternator unless you really, really have to.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
95Mx3GS

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Hey guys, just posting this if anyone wanted to know how my install went. it was awesome, and now my car sounds great and the bass is kicking! thanks for everyones help!
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

good to know, did your deck click (lock) in?
95Mx3GS

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Yep, everything went smoothly. Also, Evo_spec, please check your pms I sent you one.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”