idle slow to come back to normal when going from driving

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jfbourgault

idle slow to come back to normal when going from driving

Post by jfbourgault »

hi everyone, I've got a dumb problem, although it doesn't really afect the driving of the car, it seems that my engine takes a hell of a lot of time to come back to idling, for example, if I've been driving on the highway at 100 km/h and come to a stop or let the clutch go, it takes about 4 seconds for the idle to come down to about 650 rpm, it seems to stick at 1000-1100 rpm for about 3 sec then comes down, ekkp in mind that the throttle cable was changed this summer!, what could it be? a dirty throttle body?(that's my guess) my ignition wires? fuel problem? ( i'm always running it on 92+ octane gas) It does not affect anything in the driving, it's just annoying as hell!<BR>as anyone ever had the same problem?<BR>p.s., the temperature is realy humid around here lately!<BR>thanx in advance! :mad:
92 mx-3 GS .greeeeeeeen!<BR>Honda !!!, what do you mean Honda??<BR>Oh sorry, you meant that piece of crap parked next to my car! oh sorry again, I meant to say lawnmower....
Maddbuck

Re: idle slow to come back to normal when going from driving

Post by Maddbuck »

Mine does the same. Not all the time. it is supposed to rev above 1000rpm when the car is warming up, after that it should be around 650-750rpm. at first this was annoying because it should idle properly. I gave up on it and just let it do its thing. sometimes it stays above 1000rpm at a light but I just rev it and it drops back down. I use plus or premium gas. :roll:
jfbourgault

Post by jfbourgault »

it's not the same problem you have( i think) <BR>mine did the same thing yours does, but it was the accelerator cable, next time your car does that, try pulling on the gas pedal with your foot instead of reving it, if the idle falls back to normal, it's the cable, if not, it beats me! hope it helps
92 mx-3 GS .greeeeeeeen!<BR>Honda !!!, what do you mean Honda??<BR>Oh sorry, you meant that piece of crap parked next to my car! oh sorry again, I meant to say lawnmower....
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

nope does the other thing too, come to a stop it sits above 1000rpm for a few secs then drops down to normal, but as i said not all the time. :roll:
axess

Post by axess »

I'm no expert, but could it be your idle air control valve (or whatever) ???<BR>Maybe it's does open/shut properly...<P>Just a guess [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Stephane '96 Blaze Red RS
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

This problem is common to our cars and it seems to be the question of the year on this board,,,i think whomever answers it properly should win a prize or something...I took my 92 RS to a mechanic (to the Mazda dealer)and had him throw her on his computer..he said absolutely nothing was wrong as far as he could tell--> he also said it is a sign of our cars' "old age"..he cleaned my valve, and told me that to replace it he would have to pull the manifold...yada yada--> that it would be upwards to $200. so instead he reset my idle and it was fine for a while, but it eventually came back...my advice is if it isn't stalling out on you let it go, but if it bothers you that much then fix it ;)
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I used the Idle adjustment screw to turn down my idle, and mine no longer does that.
justin h

Post by justin h »

Mine did the same for a while then I messed with idle screw, and it kinda fixed. I got some internal work done and then the problem completely fixed, but has come back since (1 yr. later). My MX-3 is the 4 cyl., and I read on one of the websites that switching to the GS alternator will help with supplying more power with less work on the engine.
jfbourgault

Post by jfbourgault »

well, I think It could be my battery that's causing that('im changing it this week), I'm having problems with it, I think The alternator is working overtime because as soon as I turn all the electric loads off, it seems to help! so it still beats me, otherwise, I guess I'll just have to change the idle speed sensor, does anyone know how much that damn thing cost?!
pbstl

Post by pbstl »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG>I used the Idle adjustment screw to turn down my idle, and mine no longer does that.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Where's the idle speed adjustment screw located? I peeked around the TB, but didn't notice it. <BR>I'm having the same problem with my '94 GS. I checked all the intake lines, so I guess this will be the next step.<P> :confused:
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Its on the throttle on the round shaped thing on the end of the throttle cable. <BR>It has an alan wrench.. a small 1

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”