Internal engine interchange.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
IMACHU2

Internal engine interchange.

Post by IMACHU2 »

I have a couple of nube questions. A 1.8L V6 and a 2.5L V6 are related, but how close are they?? How did Mazda come up with the 2.5L?? Is it the crankshaft (stroke) or was it a bore change?? Or both?? For example Could you put a 2.5L crank and rods into a 1.8L block?? Or is the block different?? I am going to buy a KLZE, but I just wondered since I have a worn-out 1.8L V6 sitting in my shop. :D
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Internal engine interchange.

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

IMACHU2 wrote:I have a couple of nube questions. A 1.8L V6 and a 2.5L V6 are related, but how close are they?? How did Mazda come up with the 2.5L?? Is it the crankshaft (stroke) or was it a bore change?? Or both?? For example Could you put a 2.5L crank and rods into a 1.8L block?? Or is the block different?? I am going to buy a KLZE, but I just wondered since I have a worn-out 1.8L V6 sitting in my shop. :D
You know, I've always wondered by you can bore them out considering their external dimensions are the same. You can use the crank, but it's expensive work for what I've been told (Mr.Spanky with his turbo stroked 1.8)

Easiest thing to say, everything internal to the motor you can't change, everything external you can.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Googled this "Mazda K series bore and stroke" and immediately found this

http://www.tsentraal.ee/mx6/engine/SAE920677.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Can't bore the K8 too much because you will break into the water jackets. Regardless of bore dimensions the thickness of the sleeve has to be pretty consistant to achieve the same cooling.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Too much difference. Bore and stroke are different. I'm sure there's a load of other internal differences too.

I suggest selling the K8 engine for whatever you can, or rebuilding it for fun...
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Thanks guys, I was more curious then anything. So a K8 is like a 305 Chevy, yes it is a small block Chevy but, don't F'n bother :lol: I tought maybe it was more like a 350 Chev or a 302 Ford. I could change the crank and make a 383 or a 347......or in this case turn a K8 (109.82 C.I.D) into a KL (152.53 C.I.D). :lol:

wytbishop: Great link thanks!
klmx08

Post by klmx08 »

isnt the 2.5 just a bored out k8?
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

klmx08 wrote:isnt the 2.5 just a bored out k8?
No, the K8 block internally is totally different to a klze block
with cooling and oil passages abd returns in different places
hence why k8 head do not fit a klze block.
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Factory Forged crank shaft. Aw-right! :D
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

IMACHU2 wrote:Factory Forged crank shaft. Aw-right! :D
Amen Brother.
klmx08

Post by klmx08 »

wow i did not know that the are almost the same externally though right thats why it drops right in the mx engine bay i know the heads dont fit i ment genrally not exactly
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

will klde or klze cams fit in a k8? also will kl cams or k8 cams fit in a kf?
veltpak6

Post by veltpak6 »

i'm curious if the main journals on the crankshaft are the same size b/w the K* and KL crank?
BOH!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

As far as I know all the cams interchange.

I don't know if the crank mains are the same diameter. I've never read anyone posting that information.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
veltpak6

Post by veltpak6 »

alright! found out some info

it looks like the mains are the same, 62mm

What I want to do now is stroke a K8 with a KL crank and rods (piston pins are 1mm smaller on K8 pistons)..why? I dont know... i think it would be interesting to have a near-square K-block... 75mm bore x 74.2mm stroke with 1.85rod ratio... it would displace 2.0L (square bore stroke unlike the KF) if it were NA and all left the same, I'd estimate it would make about 150hp 148ft/lbs... with all the K8 ancillary stock things left alone.

Then I'd like to take a K8 crank and aftermarket Honda rods (48mm) and put it in a KLZE with KLDE pistons... this yeilds a super oversquare 84.5mm bore x 69,6mm stroke with a high 2.01 rod ratio....it would displace 2.3L. The reduced stroke reduces the Compression Ratio lower than 9,2, probably about 8,8 if IIRC and even with stock DE pistons, would boost quite nicely..
The dynamics of this geometry would lend itself to a torque peak pushed up a few thousand RPM, combined with a higher rod ratio would increase combustion efficiency by prolonging piston dwell. I'd imagine for peak HP numbers, this engine would shine. How would it differ from a boosted KL? well the reduced stroke would reduce the torque peak figure from a crankthrow perspective, psi for psi, but carry the torque peak higher in the RPM band, allowing a higher HP number, psi fo psi over a KL. This is aside from the increased combustion efficiency and longer peak cylinder pressures acheived by the 2.01 rod ratio, which oculd very well compensate for the reduced stroke's peak torque #.

I dream about this stuff, I can hear these engines in my head! lol
BOH!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”