KLZE swap DONE!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
d-bledsoe

KLZE swap DONE!

Post by d-bledsoe »

I just wanted to update my progress on my KLZE swap. I posted a few weeks ago a thread with KLZE questions and got a lot of support from fellow members.

I just finished the swap in my 1992 MX-3 K8 with 266k miles on it with a super clean and fresh KLZE. I have to say i am very happy with the end results. today was the first day the KZLE ran in the mx-3 and there was really no issues. It fired right up, there have been no ECU codes thrown and i am still using the K8 ecu until i can get a 93 ecu and probinator chip. EGR is hook up and happy, no leaks or weird noises or issues.

Really the only thing left for me to do is finish the new exhaust system. since firing the motor today around 2pm i have already put 5 trouble free and terribly fun miles on the car. What a blast.

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone that took time to answer my questions. I will post some photos tomorrow.

-Derek
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE swap DONE!

Post by fowljesse »

Congratulations! :driver:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Cool. Glad to hear you like it. My ZE is not running so well... not super powerful like everyone elses.

Let us know how it feels once you get it chipped.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

I put 150 miles on the car today with out any hitch.

I finished hooking up the rest of the exhaust this morning and decided it was time to put it through an endurance test. I drove up to my grand parents house which is about 65 miles away. I was doing 70-75 mph the whole way with no issues. The car sounds great, and feels great too.

I decided to fill up the tank after the trip to calculate MPG. I went 160 miles and it took 7.5 gallons to fill the tank working out to 21.3mpg... Not bad considering i am still running the stock ecu and every chance i got i really opened the car up :-)

new ECU and probinator chip are on the way, should only be a couple of weeks until i get the right ECU combo in.

For those interested this is my current setup and what i did.
-KLZE with millenia IM
-New timing belt
-New water pump
-CAI
-Ebay Mx-6 Headers.
-JE50 VAF
-EGR hooked up and working
-K801 ECU not chipped. But soon to be chipped
-Stock K8 Throttle body with 5mm spacer, going to get a Millenia TB soon.

With this setup the car just purrs, idle is around 750, no misfires tons of pull and power. It can only get better once i swap out the ECU
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Congrats d-bledsoe. :)

I did my swap back in April/May and I remember that feeling when you open the throttle for the first time. Your post brings me back...

I'm hoping I can re-live it when I do my turbo or SC this year. :)

I'm curious .. did you actually install plumbing for the EGR in your millenia IM? Mine didn't have any, so even though I hooked it up (vacuum, anyway), it doesn't actually do anything.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Yes i installed the pluming for the EGR. I plugged the EGR port on the intake manifold and used the EGR port on the rear header.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

d-bledsoe wrote:Yes i installed the pluming for the EGR. I plugged the EGR port on the intake manifold and used the EGR port on the rear header.
Oh, so it's not actually recirculating the gases? Is it just to avoid the stupid code?
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

I miss spoke. EGR is hooked up the exact same way the K8 was hooked up. plumed and working
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You can have the whole thing hooked up but unless you drilled out the intake there's no port for the gases to go into the engine. Make sure the blancking screw is installed in the rear of the ZE or you'll be venting exaust into your engine area. Look at your K8 about 3 inches from where the EGR was and you'll see a hex wrench set screw. Thats the one that needs to be in the ZE to stop the exhaust gasses from leaking out if you've connect your EGR. I don't think ZE's come with that hole plugged.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”