charge light & check engine light help

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
smoke187

charge light & check engine light help

Post by smoke187 »

i bought a 93 mx3 rs not to long ago already with a turbo bp swap he told me prior to the swap the lights were not on

the safc2 shows that i am getting 14 volts no matter where the rpms are the charge light stays on

not sure what the problem is with the check engine light is i know with any gtx ecu you have no check engine light be it bp55 bp58 or bp26

list of whats installed in the car

Fresh rebuilt BP-T with less than 15k miles on it.
miata tubular header
garret t3 turbo
38mm external wastegate dumped to atmosphere
2.5 inch catless turboback
apex-i n1 exhaust
hks bov
fmic/hardpipes
ported gtx intake manifold
bp55 ecu
apexi safc II
rx7 460cc injectors
msd 6al ignition box
msd blaster 3 coil
short shifter
poly bushings on sway bar, shifter, motor mounts
ground control coilovers
tokico s/r struts
v6 rear tie bar
gtx strut bar
rear strut bar
arp extended wheels studs
walbro 255 fuel pump
http://www.cardomain.com/id/smoke187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 mx3 bp-t
93 protege lx
smoke187

Re: charge light & check engine light help

Post by smoke187 »

wow this forum is very helpful :2thumbsup:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/smoke187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 mx3 bp-t
93 protege lx
Newfie_dan

Re: charge light & check engine light help

Post by Newfie_dan »

well I would get the codes first see what is coming up. Use a paper clip jump pins 10 and pin ground in the diagnostic connector and count the check engine light flashes with the key in the on position do not start the car. Next when the car is idling 14.2 volts is good at the battery. I would start by checking to make sure the battery terminals are on tight and free of corrosion. If its above 14.2 volts then the most likely culprit is your alternators voltage regulator. If its below 12.6 volts the same reason as before or a corroded charge wire from the alt to the battery.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”