ecu help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
96mx-3

ecu help

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey sorry i dont know exactly where this belongs...but i am looking for an ecu for my mx-3 .. i put in a kl-de from a 94 mx-6 and am running my stock k8 ecu..the car is odb II so it has 4 clips for the ecu as opposed to the 3 in OBDI cars... what ecu should i be looking for ? like part number?

thanks for any help
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: ecu help

Post by Ryan »

460 posts and you haven't come across the [WTB] section?

Try scrappers, and just use the MX6 ECU...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

For what I've heard, OBDII ECU's from a Probe/Mx-6 don't work in Mx-3's...

Most just use a KL02 VAF instead to lean the mixture.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

So your wiring loom is OBDII?

Simple, go and get a 1996 ECU for a Probe, MX6, 626, Telstar etc which is OBDII and use that. Also use the KL02 air flow sensor. Then it will run much better.

Just saw ND4SPDs response... I dunno if this is 100% true. Time for you to research and see what the deal is.

All the OBDI ECUs worked no matter what car they were in. Dunno what difference the OBDII makes, who knows. You kinda have to use the OBDII ECU, not much other choice. Can't use a MX-3 OBDII ECU, it will still be crap.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's been many threads on ZE swaps in OBDII ECU's

OBDII is a huge difference in terms of it's abilities, control and standardization.

Actually, I just picked up an OBDII scanner this week for my Xterra, and my parents TL and Escape, and here's that the manual says:
OBDI was designed to monitor manufacturer-specific systems on vehicles built from 81 to 95. Unlike it's predecessor, ODBII was adopted as part of a government mandate to lower emissions, but what makes it unique is it's universal application for all late model cars and trucks - domestic and import.

I don't have an OBDII Mx-3, so I don't know, but there's been threads over the years and even a few that went into detail with quite a few members doing swaps on their OBDII Mx-3. As far as I've read, you can't use them since the harness/wiring is different. Maybe you can but as most people are too affraid to spend the money and try, it could very well be something that works, but not attempted. Everything I've read and been told has been said otherwise, but that's not to say they can't be wrong.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=obdII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=obdii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=obdii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ii#p464408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

alright i went through all thoes threads..and there all for kl-ze...which the stock ecu an be chipped... i jsut want to know what model of ecu i need from a kl-de for my 96mx-3...there are a few different models.. but i was told that i need to know specificly for my car..
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I would still be searching for an OBDII ECU from a probe, mx6 etc. Then using the air flow sensor from that also. Can't see why it wouldn't work. If your car is also OBDII, then it should.

Another option is to find a MX6 etc and steal the entire wiring loom, disty, and ECU from it.

Try borrow an OBDII ECU. It should have 4 plugs on that back of it, OBDI only has 3 plugs.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

thats what im trying... except i cant find any one with an obdII mx-6 or probe that i can try there ecu..but i guess ill keep looking..i dont really wanna change out the wiering harness i shoulda done it right when i put the engine in i guess thanks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

96mx-3 wrote:alright i went through all thoes threads..and there all for kl-ze...which the stock ecu an be chipped...
No, only the OBDI ECU's can be chipped.

As for the ECU number, register and ask on ProbeTalk, ask them what's the numbers of their ECU's, but in the end, you don't need to know that if your looking at then. You already know it's got 4 connectors rather than 3, so if you go to the wreckers, just look and pull from a Probe/Mx-6/626

Oh, and as for swapping harnesses, depending on where you live, you can automatically fail the emission test pre-inspection if they notice that, supposibly.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I would avoid swapping wiring harness.... would be an absolute prick then you will definitely run into other problems such as the wiring being the wrong way on the distributor etc. In some years the wires are swapped.

Getting an OBDII ECU should be the easiest bet. Take a ride down to some wreckers and see if you can source one. Or even register on Probetalk and or MX6.com and see if any OBDII owners live near you and are willing to let you test their ECU out.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'll still check for you but in the meantime just call the Dealership up and ask the parts person if the MX-3 and MX-6 96 ECU is the same. 2Fkin easy They'll check the part numbers. I live near Belleville in Ontario and because of the support I've got from them I do my best to buy most of my parts from them (they give me a discount too) :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

lol my mom works at mazda..and an ecu for an mx-6..is $1500 b4 tax lol... but i am trying to see if there are any 96 97 mx-6 or probes around me

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”