Oil Flushing - Diesel ATF

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Oil Flushing - Diesel ATF

Post by RX8SE3P »

Hi, not sure if anyone here has read about it or tried it but I have heard of a few people with mazda V6 engines putting some diesel oil into their car along with normal oil and idling it for 5-10 mins then dropping the oil out. Also heard another similar story about someone who used ATF as it doesn't act as aggressively with the detergents as diesel and is safer.

Idea is that the detergents in both clean out sludge etc and thin it out so you get a cleaner engine. I've heard plenty of people who say to put 1L (1quart) of ATF or diesel and then the rest just regular oil. Also heard people dump a whole 4L of diesel or ATF in and also heard of people doing both and actually driving the car!

Now I am not agreeing or disagreeing but the people who done it reported the HLA noise completely went away and engine felt better. No one reported trouble.

Has anyone tried it. Does anyone with a half dead K8 who is planning a ZE swap willing to try it to see what happens? If you have done it do you have before and after pics of inside the valve cover?

I am really interested to see some results. I'd love to try it but I have only just put a ZE in about 500kms ago and am sort of concerned that I could wreck something.

EDIT: Btw I have heard that the "engine flush" stuff people buy is usually just kero or diesel anyway.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Oil Flushing - Diesel ATF

Post by Daninski »

If you only added a similar amount to twhat the store sells and don't rev the engine (put it under load) you'll probably be ok. If the HLA's are sludged up flushing would definitely help. I just used the store bought stuff and the ZE I bought ran really well after. No tic ticking.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

if you buy me a ze or even a de Ill be happy to test it out for you on my k8 :)
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, this subject has been discussed ad nauseum.
If you'd like to see results, use the search.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

fowljesse wrote:Yeah, this subject has been discussed ad nauseum.
If you'd like to see results, use the search.
EDIT - I'm removing this post as arguing is not helpful to the thread.
Last edited by RX8SE3P on December 23rd, 2008, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It has been well known among mechanics for many years...from the dawn of time really...that ATF is high in detergent and antifoaming additives. This makes it a very good engine cleaner. HD oil has similar detergent properties. I have long been doing my first oil change on junk yard engines with HD 20W50. Even after an hour of engine time that HD oil will come out black as night.

RX8...you kinda flew off the handle there. Hang around here for a few years and you'll understand why he said that.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

At least you said you like me first :|
I searched "Oil Flush", and 21 pages came up, including the good info I referred to. Sorry it didn't work for you.
I didn't mean any malice, and as I look back at my post, I can see how you took it that way.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I know pro engine builders use diesel oil Rotella for break in. I did hear about flushing engine with ATF. I would search on http://www.hotrodders.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Very informative forum.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

LOL Mitmaks I found your post quickly!

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atf-oil ... 26434.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Fowljesse, it's alright I don't hold grudges. I thought you were having a go. I used the search function though, none of the results really give much useful info about ATF or Diesel, none had before or after pics, none really had feedback from people who did it. That's why I made the thread. I have not heard of any bad experiences yet of people using diesel of ATF or even Kerosene (kero is usually what flush products are anyways.

On this link, people were using Kerosene in high amounts! http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=4052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But they had good results and no disasters. Apparently the kero is partly a lubricant too so it doesn't harm the engine as you would imagine. Just don't drive it like that though. I am thinking about doing a flush with either ATF, Diesel or Kero 50/50 mix with normal oil but not actually driving the car. I have pics of inside the VC before flushing, would be interested to see the results after. I might have to go out an buy some cheap a-- castrol 20W50. One place was selling cheap recently.

I just changed the oil though so I have to wait a few thousand before bothering - no point in wasting that good oil I just put in.

wytbishop - mind me asking but what is HD oil? I searched google but didn't get a good result - some results said it's high viscosity or something.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Um. Seafoam?

:D
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I used 3 quarts of oil, and 2 quarts of atf when I hydrolocked my engine, to flush it out.

Engine worked well after that. I did the flush twice. It looked like if I had choolate milk in my oil.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

High Detergent oil is formulated for use in tractor trailer rigs and other big diesel applications and used to be easily available but with the advent of ultra low sulfer diesel fuel and regenerative exhaust, diesels run much cleaner now so it's harder to find.

In the past anything made specifically for diesel engines was high detergent...now, I can't say for sure.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i did the 50/50 kerosene/oil mix on my ZE. worked fine for me, did it years ago, no problems. wasn't magical, but somewhat improved on the lifter tick.. i'll still hear it when it's cold. :shrug:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I didn't read your post properly, and didn't know you were asking for specific information. I feel that if I'm going to constantly tell people to search, I need to admit when I make a mistake, and apologise, and not discredit myself to looking like someone who just cops out.
Sorry :wink:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”