Call me a traitor but I just bought an MX-6

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Call me a traitor but I just bought an MX-6

Post by SuperK »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: What makes the Mx-6 any different than the Mx-3 for towing? I though Mazda condoned towing on all their cars.
Condemned.

Oh, and... Traitor.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok after almost going to court the car is sitting in my drive way. Right off the bat, new stereo and speakers. Going to look for new head lites and maybe slim visors. If anyone here knows MX-6's let me know. I prefer to stay here, I'm not too fussy on how the MX-6 site is set up besides people actually tolerate me here. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'm only towing light loads so it would be like hauliing some pimp as* Ho around in your car right. Weight is weight. Ya Pearl white is sweet. Found a pic of an MX-6 with a burgandy like colour. Thought that was good. One way or the other colour is colour but I do think some colours just bring out certain cars lines. Yellow makes me barf every time. Opps sorry you know who. I like your yellow PFer. Hey how about flat black. That been done yet. :lol:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I was looking at some mx-6 before I got my mx3
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol:
Moonwax

Congrats on the car.. I was just thinking.. Wouldn't you rather tow with a manual? I don't know how the Auto would do..

Here's a deal.. If the slim visors can be stuck on the same way on MX-6s, and you drum up interest on that site, and I can sell a few, I'll give you a set.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

[quote="fowljesse] I was just thinking.. Wouldn't you rather tow with a manual? I don't know how the Auto would do..[/quote]

Actually manuals have a lesser towing capacity than automatics. I chose to get my truck in manual, and with that, it's rated towing capacity is 3500lbs rather than 5000lbs. Part of it has to do with the start load. A novice would easilly burn out the clutch, the automatics have a stall speed and can handle that. I bet the 3500lb limit is to cover all people, including those who can't drive stick properly. I should be able to do over 3500lbs easy, and I'll upgrade to a Centerforce Dual-Friction in the future.

I don't remember the thread and why I was reading it, but someone with a 626, towed an Mx-6 he just purchased back, on a flatbed. I'm like; geez, I technically can't even do that with my truck. U-Haul flatbeds are literally 2000lbs...but that's not to say he didn't have a hard time.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I always wondered that too, why manuals have a lower towing capacity.... its just to cover noobs, and autos can actually handle it better?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yep, because part of their design if that they are allowed to slip. On a manual you'd wear out the clutch, the auto's just get hotter. Reason why when you get a tranny cooler with the towing package on a vehicle. This slip allows for further torque multiplication I believe. Auto's actually don't lock up, which is why they're typically rated for lower power since it can't put 100% of the power down to the wheels. With manuals, of course the gears are interlocked. Automatics can have this option...I don't know if something that can be added in, but maybe it locks in OD, or with OD off, and I think some lock when you've been in gear after so many seconds...I can't find the info (i have a manual so I didn't retain this info, just stuff i came across looking into info about towing) and don't have enough time to find it. But that's basically how an auto is ironicly better than a manual, for towing...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Ahaa. Very interesting :)
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Wow more talk than I expected. As usuall Nd4SpdSe is always a whealth of knowledge. My auto MPV has pulled out trees for me and still works great. I think if you have a 4 wheel drive with a 'low' option trans axel autos work well. I'd like to put a bumper hitch on my MX-6 just for light towing. Anyway so far the MX-6 runs great and a lot of parts are new. The Wreckers has a 95 Probe so I'm robbing it for spares (eat your heart out Ryan). anyone need a standard Probe trans?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Wow we both have similar year MX-3's, which are both red, both have ZEs in them and now you have an MX-6 also, just like me! :love2: :P

I got my MX-6 about 3-4 months ago to get me around while doing the ZE swap on the Mx-3.

Is yours a KLDE or 4CLY?

If it's the 2.5 I'd be interested to know what you think of it's power compared to the ZE. At the moment my ZE and the KLDE feel very similar (same gearbox in both). I can't say for sure which is more powerful. I still have to check my VRIS is working ok, change to a thinner oil (using 20W-50 just for the first hundred kms of light driving), solve a problem with my thermo fans (not sure if it's affecting performance), set TPS properly, and probably run the car in a little longer before hammering it.

But I am seriously impressed with the MX-6.. I got it for cheap too. It's kind of awesome but also a kick in the face when you consider how good it is and then what I spent on the ZE and it's not a great deal faster (yet). The seats go further back and feel waaaay more comfortable, they really hold you in (not sure if it's aftermarket seats).

Sorry guys this must be said..... my MX-6 absolutely RAPES the stock standard MX-3. Absolutely utterly rapes it in many aspects.

*runs away*
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hard to compare because the MX6 is an V6 DE auto. I wanted a standard but all of them had already been ruined by Hot Rodders. I haven't let it go yet but from the few times I stepped on it I was really impressed with the acceleration and how tight the tranny shifts. I'm pretty sure my ZE MX-3 would make fast work of the mx6 tho.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you had the DE in the MX-3, and the ZE in the MX-6, that should be a close race, with the MX-6 winning. There is something not right in the ZE.
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

"WHITE" and "MX-3" a girly car...................hmmm I don't think sooooooooooo....cars are for any sex............

WHITE....................I love that colour...had a Talon in that colour......hmmmm I would love to have an MX in WHITE...............................although I do love RED the most................but.........

Hmmmm

Congrats Dan....Pearl white would be great...

DEB
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I don't remember the thread and why I was reading it, but someone with a 626, towed an Mx-6 he just purchased back, on a flatbed. I'm like; geez, I technically can't even do that with my truck. U-Haul flatbeds are literally 2000lbs...but that's not to say he didn't have a hard time.
Wow, and I thought towing my mx3 with a uhaul dolly and a ford escape without the towing package was pushing it. :lol: Although I did have to tow it over 140km through some pretty big hills.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”