What engine did i just buy/KLZE build thread

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mad Cow

Re: What engine did i just buy/KLZE build thread

Post by Mad Cow »

Post the IM up on probetalk or mx6.com
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

I wish i could post over there. Like here, they seem to have a restriction in place to prevent people with less then 25 posts from posting ads.

Guess the KLZE IM will just go up on ebay:-(

On another note i made more progress this morning. I was able to get the timing covers off to inspect the belt and pullys and they all seem good, i will be replacing the belt and pullies however. In addition i will be putting a new water pump on as well and will be taking the PS pump off my K8 and putting it on the KLZE as the 2 pumps appear to be slightly different in terms of connections and hoses.

I will be ordering the following very soon:
timing belt
Pullies
Clutch kit(still deciding on what to go with here, maybe clutch masters stage one for the MX-6)
New axles.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Nice stuff mate. Engine looks clean as a whistle! Wish mine looked that clean. I had far more dark brown junk and whatnot but my engine still runs nice.

If yours runs as well as it looks, it will be silky smooth!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

If you're replacing the belt and pulleys you might as well also replace the hydraulic tensioner. These are infamous for failing and making a really loud knocking sound and the pulley hits the cover. Mine just started that and apparently the motor has less than 110k km's.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Thanks for the comments guys.
I haven't worked much on the engine/car in the last few days because i have been moving. Also i have broken the engine down to the point were i am now waiting for new parts to arrive before i can continue with the build. New Intake should show up this week, Picking up new axles today, and will hopefully be ordering the clutch sometime this week. I need to run to the auto store and pick up a new timing belt, the old one looked fine but why risk it, new water pump is going on today. I am hoping that by the end of next week i will have the motor back in the car. Really just waiting for the funds to purchase the clutch.

-Derek
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Ok i have been making some good progress. I have been doing the swap entirely my self and its a first for me also.

Anyways first question has to do with the EGR. I have spent a lot of time searching here and either the answer is vague, the linked post is broken, or photos are broken. So i know the KLZE or any of the engines do not need the EGR to run. My question is this and i have photos to go along with it.

The EGR has 3 lines, two small vacuum lines? and a brass tube that screws into the EGR and then routes and screws into the rear exhaust manifold on the k8 engine. Now the KLZE exhaust manifold has the dent for were the brass tube would screw it, but its not drilled or tapped. So what am i suppose to do here? See the photos below.

K8 Engine:

KLZE Engine:

Second question, i have read that something needs to be plugged when hooking on the EGR on the KLZE? what is this and were is it? does this relate back to my first question?

Third question, were are you guys ordering your gaskets from? I am having a hard time finding the correct square runner IM gaskets.

Really the thing that is hanging me up right now is just the EGR and the vacuum wiring(of which i have the color coded guide found here).

Thank you in advanced for putting up with what im sure is a dumb quesiton

-Derek
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Guess out of the hours of searching here i somehow missed this post: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Explaining the details of the EGR. So i gather from reading this post that since i will be running a K8 ecu chipped with probinator that i should then just plug the egr hole with a plate, leave the klze rear exhaust manifold on as its already blocked. I should then only get 28 and 29 codes? If my k8 ecu wasn't chipped then i would get cel and 28 and 29 codes?

Anybody have any photographs of there setup? What is the best course of action here? I live in washington and have to complete e-test every other year. Should i leave the EGR hooked up to the KLZE and run the vac lines and electrical lines, or should i should i just take a peace of aluminum and mount it to the egr location on the KLZE blocking it off leaving the egr vac and electrical lines un plugged?

the EGR and vacuum are really the only thing that confuses me right now.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I got a bit confused with the EGR and vacuum also. Basically, if you need to pass emissions, hook up the EGR. I didn't because I don't have any emissions tests (but I still installed the EGR, just routed the pipes to itself so it's not really doing anything).

Honestly, there's a couple of coolant pipes and some more vaccum lines involved if you use EGR - it can make things mighty confusing (hey it did for me). Taking them off made things so much simpler in my case.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

So are you saying for the EGR that i bolt it to the engine block, hook up the electrical wires, but the all the other lines like the vacuum and such i should plug on the EGR and just route the lines past the EGR instead of through the EGR, does that make since?

-derek
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Nah I think you should try hooking it up properly so it works, if you have emissions tests. I don't have any tests at all where I live. I accidentally hooked mine up but then just routed all the coolant/vacuum hoses lines into itself so it doesn't really do anything. I don't know where they all go on the engine because the ZE was not made with an EGR so it's not that straight forward.

Easiest is to block it off.

But you have the dilemma of passing emissions. I dunno if it will pass emissions with the EGR blocked or if there's a simple way to block it and still pass emissions.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

A few guys over the years have passed emissions w/o EGR. If you're concerned, you can run 2oz. Acetone, and 1oz. 90% Isopropyl Alcohol in a full tank, and you will pass for sure, as long as your engine is running properly. I passed with a gutted cat.
Befor you put the IM on GET PHENO SPACERS! I have an extra set that has even been port matched, and will be in Tacoma on the 22nd, if you're interested. If not, get new ones!
I highly recommend putting in the EGR, but NOT hooking it up. Hook up the sensors, and everything as if it were in use, but plug the hole in your headers with a nickel. I just replaced my IM, and it's disgusting in there, after about 7,000 miles on a fresh rebuild. The EGR hole is almost clogged.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Well i have moved on passed the EGR stage and have that mostly figured out. Now the next snag in the road and something i completely forgot about until today when i went to order a probinator chip...

I forgot to check my ECU at the start of the conversion to see if it could even be chipped, well i just pulled my ECU and guess what.... it CANT be chipped.

Anyone want to trade a stock working 1992 k801 ECU for a chip-able ECU, or anyone have any for sell at a reasonable price?

Another quick question. What is this connector go too? It sits right below the throttle body and has a electrical connection and 2 vacuum connections. Here is a photo of the part and the plug that goes in it, is this an EGR thing?

-Derek

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”