Oil Leak (pressure sender)? -- Specific symptoms within

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JoeAtari

Oil Leak (pressure sender)? -- Specific symptoms within

Post by JoeAtari »

Hi all:

Unmodded high-mileage (180,000+) '94 V-6 beater car (i.e. no budget for major repairs) is leaking oil. I've scanned the forum and not seen these specific symptoms described, so here goes:

I removed the underside splash shield to more closely inspect the problem, but I don't have a lift or jacks handy to look way up under the engine right now. However, the leak seems to start after firing the engine after sitting overnight (strangely not it seems after sitting all day at work) where it will push out about, oh, 1/4 quart onto the ground around the oil filter (it drips around and from the bottom the filter) and then stops after about 2 minutes of idling. This is with the oil level starting at "F" on the dipstick. Can't tell if it continues while driving, but I think it might not.

The oil filter is tight. It sounds like it might be leaking around the oil pressure sender from what I've read, but since I can't see up under the engine I'm not sure. I'd like to pin this down as well as possible before moving forward based on what I know, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if the oil pressure sender is the likely culprit, is there a link to detailed instructions for its replacement?

Thanks in advance!
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: Oil Leak (pressure sender)? -- Specific symptoms within

Post by shameem »

Oil pressure sender leaked in my engine too - it was an easy enough replacement - take off the filter and you will have a bit of room to put a wrench on the sender. The sensor itself cost like $10 or so (i think) at a local parts store.

I have also had a case where an idiot from jiffy lube didnt remove the rubber seal from the previous filter before putting a new filter on - and it dumped oil out like you describe....

You may also have a crack in the oil filter threads due to some idiot over tightening the filter at some point - if that's the case then you're SOL
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

shameem wrote:Oil pressure sender leaked in my engine too - it was an easy enough replacement - take off the filter and you will have a bit of room to put a wrench on the sender. The sensor itself cost like $10 or so (i think) at a local parts store.

I have also had a case where an idiot from jiffy lube didnt remove the rubber seal from the previous filter before putting a new filter on - and it dumped oil out like you describe....

You may also have a crack in the oil filter threads due to some idiot over tightening the filter at some point - if that's the case then you're SOL
shameem makes a great point, if you use a cheap filter or a wuick lube like oil can henrys or jiffy lube they have messed up a lot of stuff. i bought a "premium" filter k&n and it was rubbish! the seal would not do it's job and actually seal i replaced it twice same thing and i put back on a wix brand (napa, carquest, auto value) and never a problem since, get out a stock jack and lift it up and see if you can trace the leak.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

mine leaked one day and it lost most of the oil. Just replace it asap before you lose the engine.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
JoeAtari

Post by JoeAtari »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've not seen an oil leak like this before. It only happens right after the engine is started after sitting overnight (12+ hours); it will lose about 1/4 quart while idling for two minutes then stop. I'm assuming it's stopping anyway, since if it continued at that rate it would lose all of the oil very quickly. I've seen oil leaks start under pressure, but stopping after oil pressure builds up? Weird?
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

it sounds like a seal or something, extremely weird....ummmm, have you check to see if you pcv valve is working, cause if it's not it causes backpressure in the motor causing seals, dipstick, and other things to start popping out and leaking, just another thought
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

You may have a small crack (either on the block or the rubber seal) that expands and seals when the engine gets hot -

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”