What engine did i just buy/KLZE build thread

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: What engine did i just buy

Post by Mnemonic »

Let me use my powers of observation OMG!!! here is the answer!

Its a k8ze :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Thanks guys for all the help. It is indeed a K8ZE, but its not in the greatest shape and not worth what i paid for it, 3 of the lobes on one of the cams are rusted and pitted to all hell, a couple of the lifters are pitted, it did feel like it had good compression but i'd rather not deal with pitted cams. I could pull the good cams off my old K8, but i'd rather just take the K8ZE back as i really dont know what short of shape the lower end is in. I'd rather not take a chance and go through the work of putting the K8ZE in and have it fail down the road after a few thousand miles because of the pitted lobes.

So it will be going back, I was hoping just to get the K8 in cheap but oh well, live and learn. i will be getting a KZ and will just deal with the added cost of running a ZE. I guess for the short time being i could run the ZE with the k8 IM and ECU while i a wait the chip and milliena IM.

Thanks again and i will update this thread tomorrow once i pick up the replacement engine, this time i will make sure to bring my sockets to pop the valve covers before bringing it home

-Derek
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

unlucky, that's unacceptable condition, hope they don't give you any bs. Getting a ZE is for the best ;)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

I actually have a Millenia Intake and a Probinator chip to match it. Check out my post in the For Sale Section.
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

I just got back from taking in the K8, showed them the rust and they couldn't believe it. Anyways i had them pull another K8 and some KLZE's, the Next K8 was in worse shape then the K8ze that i first bought, i then started popping the valve covers on the ZE's they were all pretty good, lightly brown, i'd guess no more then 50k miles, about the 3rd one down i was shocked.... it was amazingly clean, and looked brand new. the ZE is a true ZE as i confirmed the KL31 cams and head, but i was amazed at what i found under the covers, it cant have been used for very long.

I will make sure to take a photo as soon as i get a chance. but it doesn't look like the motor has been ever used.

mx3boyze: I will check your for sell ad, and i might be dropping you a PM.

-Derek
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Here are a few iphone photos of the KLZE i just picked up.

It felt like it had good compression on all cylinders, much more so then the k8 last night did. Its by far the cleanest engine i have looked at as well. Im not sure the mileage, anyone care to take a guess?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Congratulations! You just picked up 70 more horses than your old engine, or that beat up K8ZE! You are going to be HAPPY!!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

epic win :D Looks about same as mine did before heads were bathed and skimmed, well a little more tarnished than mine. My ZE was a well serviced 40k... So 30-50k is my semi educated guess depending on service history.

Are the heads kl31-1a1? Let the good times roll :D
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Thanks
Yep the heads are kl31-1a1
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

You made a good decision on buying the ZE. If you dont mind me asking, What did you end up paying out the door with it?
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Thanks, I dont mind you asking, Im in Kirkland WA, i paid 899$ out the door, shipping was free, but i picked it up as i am local.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

That engine looks low mileage. Now clean and fill your mounts, get a good clutch, replace some hoses and a new fuel filter, new shifter bolts and bushings and one of those s/s clutch lines from Cork Sport and your gold.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Make sure its not a MILLENIA ZE US SPEC.

If it has NO EGR on the back of the manufold and ha a diamond plate, you got a winner.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

It is a true KLZE, already verified. NO EGR, correct Head and cam codes. Now i am just trying to wrap my head around the wiring as some of the connections are in different places
d-bledsoe

Re: What engine did i just buy/KLZE build thread

Post by d-bledsoe »

Well i figured i'd post some more updates, and sort of treat this as another build thread. I will try and document the KLZE swap as much as possible as i make progress.

I am taking my time as this is the most work i have done on a modern engine. I have rebuild the straight six in my 65 mustang you can sort of see in some of the photos.

At first i have always been a little scared of moderned engine work because of the computers and such, but as i make progress with this i am realizing its not a whole lot different then my 65 mustang, most the wires i was scared of are really just sensors that monitor the engine.

Anyways progress last night was to get the straight neck IM off and pop the other valve cover. Getting the IM off was a bit harder then on the K8, The metal fuel lines on the KLZE intake route down below the throttle body and are bolted to the block, it took me 30 minutes to figure out why the intake was stuck when i thought i had removed all the bolts:-) Once those came off it pulled right off. The Gaskets looks brand new, but new gaskets all around will be ordered.

I popped the rear valve cover and it was even cleaner then the front. I am really amazed at how clean this motor is. So far i think i have lucked out on the engine as its not only super clean but i have the correct amount of connections for the coolent temp sensors so it doesn't look like i have to drill at tap? i guess if you have the right year motor and car then that is a non issue?

Anyone know the easiest way to sell the KLZE IM? I'll post it up here but im sure we are all mostly looking for millenia IM's?

Here are a few progress photos:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”