Who's Using The EGR On Their ZE?

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
Nd4SpdSe

Who's Using The EGR On Their ZE?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Just curious, I know alot of us have ZE's and have e-tested our cars. Seems we all haven't had an issue passing. Does anyone have the EGR system hooked up?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Who's Using The EGR On Their ZE?

Post by Daninski »

I'll say no. It's hooked up so I don't get a code but the engine isn't drilled out so no recirc. My NO's were high on my clean air and that's indicitive of no EGR isn't it?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I do not have an EGR but I have also never had to past an E-Test... this will change next year when I have to renew my tags in this state :? I'm worried.....
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Don't they have Hot Rod status? I gave the E test guy a letter from my Dealer that says my car was never produced with the ZE engine.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Daninski wrote:Don't they have Hot Rod status? I gave the E test guy a letter from my Dealer that says my car was never produced with the ZE engine.
what?! I've never heard of this! so you mean custom cars without original engines don't have to pass the Etest?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Yes, in most Provinces and States I've heard about. Ask your local DMV
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's not exactly an exemption Mooneggs, you still need to go through an e-test, but under the "Rot Rod" test, the limits are supposibly much more relaxed. The only vehicles exempt are those from 1986 and older.

I've never needed the Hot Rod test, but my last test was idle only since my car was too low for the rollers :mrgreen:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Yes Hot Rod test will run ya through on a 1983 standard. i jus did one last week when i got mine done. I passed with flying colors without EGR. The only thing I had to do was puta klde ecu in. I guess Probinator is no good for emmisions!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

passed as a k8 with flying colors
ImageImageImageImageImage
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Sorry to bump but I got a KLZE straight neck, my dad put the EGR on because he didn't know and transferred from old engine. Is it ok for me to just plug up the lines coming out of it? I don't need to pass any emission tests.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Installing the EGR just stops you from getting a code. It takes like 10 mins. to install it so no biggy. You don't have to connect the exhaust tube.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Oh well there's two fat pipes coming out, size of fuel lines from it. Also one little vaccuum hose. Where do all those go? I think they went to the old TB but the new TB has no ports for that.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Mooneggs wrote:
Daninski wrote:Don't they have Hot Rod status? I gave the E test guy a letter from my Dealer that says my car was never produced with the ZE engine.
what?! I've never heard of this! so you mean custom cars without original engines don't have to pass the Etest?
never heard about this, how do you get it, do you have to pay extra $$ when licensing?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Just show proof that your vehicle comes with a motor that was not an option for the car (so if you swap out a B6 for a K8 it doesn't count), a letter from Mazda does the trick. Than they just choose the "hot rod" limits on the computer, do the test, and compare.

When you get your new sticker, they just look to see if it passed, doesn't matter how. Mine was tested as a "2-speed idle test" because it was too low for the rollers.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

i have my drive clean lisence :lol: i am exempt.... for now. HOWEVER i have a booklet with all e test rules.

it says:
for vehicles registered with model years prior to 2000 (1999 and earlier, so all mx3's) the drive clean facility will perform a pre-test check and visually check and inspect the presence of gas caps only. they will be tested to 1980 model year emissions standards.

you have you prove that your engine was not installed by the manufacturer on that model year of motor vehicle.

OR you could run a car that does pass..... i didnt do that... :roll:

oh ya this is info from the ontario drive clean, not sure if its different somewhere else, probably not.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”